Confused about portfolio page

Support Area Forums Photobug Confused about portfolio page

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Pamela Cather
    Participant

I’m confused about how the portfolio page works.

I’ve created a page and selected the portfolio template.

But I don’t know what this means:

“To add images, you may upload them at any point in the site. As you’re uploading, you’ll notice an option to include that image on the portfolio page. Just select yes to include it and the theme will take care of the rest.”

I’ve uploaded images to the Gallery by using the upload/insert button on the “edit page” page. I did not notice anything that asked me if I wanted to include that image on the portfolio page. Just the normal “include on page” link.

Also, is it possible to have more than one portfolio page?

Pamela Cather
    Participant

Sorry. I just figured that I had to go into the media edit to find the “include on portfolio page” button.

But, I’m worried that I can’t have more than one portfolio page. I’ve been working on using this theme all day. If I can’t have more than one portfolio page than I have to start all over with a different theme. Bummer.

Please tell me it isn’t true.

Bill Robbins

Pamela, I’m glad you found the include option, but there is only one portfolio page. That said, the theme is built with the intention of having LOTS of galleries each of which you can use as a portfolio if you’d like to.

You could create a category called “Portfolio” and then add a post for each grouping you’d like to have such as landscapes, portraits and so on. Then just add the appropriate images to each post. Then add that category to your navigation and you have a portfolio section.

If you still want to go with more than one portfolio page, let me know. I can make that, but it will probably be next week before I have a chance to do it though.

Take care,
    Bill

Pamela Cather
    Participant

Bill,

I’d like the mosaic structure of the portfolio page. I believe I’m understanding what you’re suggesting for the category called Portfolio, but that would not give me the mosaic structure. Is that correct? I’m needing 4 portfolio pages.

Thanks for all your help.

Pamela

Bill Robbins

You’re right, the posts will look differently than the portfolio page does. If you need multiple portfolio pages, just post to this thread next week and I can set that up for you.

Thanks and enjoy your weekend,
    Bill

Pamela Cather
    Participant

Bill,

I’ve been working on the Photobug template as well as looking at others. I still like the Photobug overall. But, I do need 4 portfolio pages.

Is there anyway that I can make the thumbs on the portfolio just a tiny bit smaller so that I can add a 20px padding around it? See http://www.test.reflections-etc.com/gallery/pet-gallery/ The rightside is over too far.

Thanks for all your help.

Bill Robbins

Pamela,

Here’s a portfolio page template that will let you create free standing portfolio pages. You’ll need to create a new file in your theme folder and then use this as the content:

You can make the images a bit smaller to allow for some padding. Here’s how to do that:

1. Go to the appearance section of your WordPress control panel and select edit to open up the theme editor.
    2. From the list of pictures on your right, choose functions.php and look for this spot:

add_image_size('small-feature', 310, 999, false);

3. Change the 310 to 300 and save your changes.

That will give you an extra 10 pixels that you can use to add padding (5 on each side). If you want more room than that, then use a smaller number than 300.

That change will only affect images uploaded after the change. To affect the ones that are already uploaded, you’ll need to use the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin.

If you have any questions or trouble, let me know,
    Bill

Pamela Cather
    Participant

Both things worked great. Thanks. Portfolio is so much easier too. Don’t have to go into each upload and click add to portfolio.

Thanks.

Michael Friedlander
    Participant

Question about using the new “Individual Portfolio” page template. I too, want multiple portfolio pages and am glad I found this answer. However, I don’t understand how to add the images to this new page.

I’ve created the new .php file and selected “Individual Portfolio” as the Template. Adding Media (images) to the page just has them show up inserted on the page.

How do I add images to this “Individual Portfolio?”

Bill Robbins

Michael,

Thank you for your business first of all. Great question too. Every image you upload on that page will be included in the “portfolio.” WordPress creates a relationship between images and the pages/posts that they are uploaded on. This template file allows you to take advantage of that relationship to specify which images are shown.

If you have any questions or trouble, let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Michael Friedlander
    Participant

Bill, thank you for the very quick reply. I just posted another question about creating galleries and I believe the answer to both questions is the same: I must upload images to the page, regardless of whether or not the same images exist in my Media Library.

You’re using the post_parent field to pull the images for both the “Individual Portfolio” page template and the Gallery, and there can be only one post_parent. Got it!

Instead of uploading my images to the gallery in advance of building the pages, I’ll need to upload on a page by page, or post by post basis.

Thanks,
    Michael

Bill Robbins

Michael,

I do hope to build a better interface for this with WordPress 3.5 media library. Until then, you might try the Attachments Plugin to let you manage any previously uploaded images.

Let me know if you run into any trouble,
    Bill

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Confused about portfolio page’ is closed to new replies.