Child Theme Breaks Sponsors widget

Support Area Forums Grassroots Child Theme Breaks Sponsors widget

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question: http://108.167.189.17/~beaconam/
  • Author
    Karlson Rapp
    Participant

Hi Bill,
    I am working on setting up a child theme for our Grassroots installation. I do not think that I understand all of the things that a child theme does. I have tried manually setting up a child theme but it caused two problems. Since the manual installation did caused these errors I removed it and used your method of installing the One-Click Child Theme plugin. It has the same results.

1. It removed some widgets that were set
    2. It breaks the Sponsors widget on the front page

I have figured out the first issue by just setting up the widget in the child theme like the parent theme is set. I can not figure out the second item. I looked in FireFox and the proper classes are not being added to the Slick Slider Div. Would you have any idea of the issue? Do I need to make sure that the Child Theme is loading the correct Java Script? If so, how would I do this in the child theme? Copy over the proper JS file?
    Thanks,
    Karlson

Bill Robbins

Hello Karlson,

Thank you for your business first of all. Great questions too. Sometimes when switching to a child theme, you will have to drag widgets back into place and reassign navigation menus. It doesn’t always happen but it does happen a pretty good bit. Technically it is a new theme from WordPress’ perspective and widgets and navigation menu assignments are based on the current theme.

The sponsor widget is a child-theme related bug. It’s patched in the next version of the theme. Until that update is released, you can copy the slick.js file from the parent theme to the child theme. Place it in a folder called js and that should cause it to work again. The update has the reference set so that it is friendly for child themes too, but that will get you going until that’s pushed out.

If you have any questions or trouble, let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Karlson Rapp
    Participant

Hi Bill,
    Copying over the slick.js file worked great. Thanks for the help!

Karlson

Bill Robbins

Glad to hear that got it fixed for you. If you need anything else, just let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Child Theme Breaks Sponsors widget’ is closed to new replies.