Child Page Links

Support Area Forums Forward Child Page Links

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
URL to the page in question: http://cattcomemorial.com
  • Author
    Participant

Hi, Bill –

Almost finished with my charity web site! One more issue to deal with. I created some child pages but links to them do not show on the parent page. Looked around and couldn’t find a solution for that. Need your expertise again.

Also, I would like to mention Organized Themes in the footer of this web site as a text link to your web site. My floating social icons make it impossible to click your icon in the footer. I will need to know how to make the text a link, too.

John

Bill Robbins

Hello John,

Glad you’re almost finished…there’s nothing like having a project completed.

Good question too. Are you looking to have the child pages appear as sub-menu items in the navigation? To do that, go to the menu builder (Appearance > Menus in your dashboard). Add the child pages to the navigation menu and drag them into position below the “parent.” Then take the first one under the parent, click on it and drag it slightly to the right. It should indent slightly. That means it is now a child item under the top level one.

Repeat that for the other child pages. They should only be one indent deep. Otherwise they’ll be “grandchild” pages instead.

If you’re looking to do something else, let me know.

Have a great day,
    Bill

Participant

Bill,

I did as suggested but only only tow of the three pages show on the drop down menu under the Memorial History Page link on the navigation bar. I indented the third page link as suggested but it does not show. Is there a limit to the sub-levels on the nav bar menu?

Also, I really wanted the links to show in the side bar of the Memorial History Page. Many of our visitors are elderly and are not internet savvy. We have to make it as easy as possible for them to navigate to pages.

John

Bill Robbins

Hey John,

It looks like the first item under Memorial History is set to be a child item, but the second one is a grandchild one.

I’ve attached as screenshot of what the menu looks like in the demo. Under features there, we have several sub-menu items. As long as they stay on the same level indention they will appear as child items. It’s easier to see than describe I think.

You can create other navigation menus and then add them via widget to your sidebar area. That would be one way to do that. You may find a plugin that lists child pages of the current page in a widget. I don’t have one to recommend, but there is likely one that would work for that.

Let me know how it goes,
    Bill

Participant

Bill –

I misunderstood and indented the links incorrectly. So everything is good.

I was pretty sure that I needed a plugin for the sidebar nav. Will see if I can accomplish that. If not, at least visitors will be aware that the other pages exist when they hover over the nav bar link.

You will be hearing from me for sure when I use my second Organized Theme for my personal web site!

Still need the footer text for the link to your web site. You provide an excellent product and great support so we want others to check you out.

John

Bill Robbins

Hey John,

I’m glad that did the trick. Describing the menus with words never works quite as well as a quick screenshot.

Good question about the footer link. If you want to make the footer area a link, this is how to do it:

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress dashboard and click on Customize.
    2. Look down for the advanced section and click on it. Then choose Custom CSS.
    3. In the box there, add this:

#footer-content {
      	position: relative;
      }

p#organizedthemes-link a {
      	position: absolute;
      	width: 100%;
      	left: 0;
      }

4. Save your changes.

See if that doesn’t do the trick. Let me know if you have any questions.

Take care,
    Bill

Participant

Bill –

I added the CSS code. It turned the footer bar into a link to your web site but without text. How do I add text?

John

Bill Robbins

Shoot. Sorry about that. Let’s add this to the Custom CSS as well:

p#organizedthemes-link a:after {
    	content: 'Organized Themes';
    	color: #fff;
    }

p#organizedthemes-link img {
    	visibility: hidden;
    }

Let me know if that doesn’t do the trick,
    Bill

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Child Page Links’ is closed to new replies.