Can't get to my CSS (or any other) files

Support Area Forums Selfie Can't get to my CSS (or any other) files

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question: http://www.khalidamakran.nl
  • Author
    Khalid Amakran
    Participant

Hi Bill,

I’ve been working with Selfie for quite a time now, and the responses I get from clients is great. Thanks for the development and your quick troubleshooting.

However, I want to make some custom changes to the theme. These are minor, such as the color of the date under the title of my blog posts. I do know a little about editing WordPress files, but the whole editor is gone. The only way I can edit my theme right now is by working in the “Live preview” mode (I’ve got a Dutch installation of WP so I don’t know the exact names of the sections), another way is in the other appearance editor. You know, the one with the custom css section under the “advanced” tab.

I hope you can help me out. Thanks in advance.

Bill Robbins

Good Morning Khalid,

I’m glad you’ve enjoyed working with the theme. It is possible to remove the WordPress editor that’s in the appearance section. Some web hosts do that automatically as a security measure and also to keep users from accidentally locking themselves out of their websites.

In the root folder of your WordPress site there is a file called wp-config.php. Most likely there is a line in it like this:

define( 'DISALLOW_FILE_EDIT', true );

If you find it there you can change the true to false and save your changes. That should bring back up the editor for you.

That said, with editing theme files it’s best to edit them locally on your computer and upload the changes via FTP. You can create/find a FTP account in your web host’s control panel. Once you have those credentials you can use a FTP program to to upload changes you make. That’s usually the best way to go about making edits.

Let me know if I can help,
    Bill

Khalid Amakran
    Participant

Hi Bill!

That’s exactly what I needed to know. Thanks again for the great help. 🙂

Khalid

Bill Robbins

Anytime Khalid 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Can't get to my CSS (or any other) files’ is closed to new replies.