Can I make the Bottega update into a child theme?

Support Area Forums Bottega Can I make the Bottega update into a child theme?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Talisman
    Participant

Just had a thought: Can I make the latest Bottega into a child theme? Then it wouldn’t override the original and lose its modifications, but I could still get the responsive benefits. Is that possible? I’ve only just started playing with child themes, so I wanted to check before doing anything drastic. It would sure be easier than having to manually go through the update and copy over the modifications I made to Bottega the first time around (header height, fonts, etc.).

Thanks,
    J.

Bill Robbins

Great question. There were quite a few changes outside of the CSS in order to make the theme responsive. We had to change out the slideshow structure as well as the script that powers it in order to make it touch sensitive.

I’d suggest making the new version the parent and then moving your modifications into a new child theme. That’s a great way to do that. That’s how I have my personal site set up with the Foxy theme right now.

Enjoy your weekend,
    Bill

Talisman
    Participant

Finally back to playing with this, so I’m going to give this a shot and see what works. I went ahead and uploaded the new Bottega, but I don’t see any changes other than the static front page disappearing (which was covered in another support topic, so no need to reply on that!). I’m going to double-check my tweaks to make sure they work in the new version, but so far, so good!

Cheers,
    J.

Bill Robbins

That’s great news…I updated the demo, but that’s still not quite the same thing as updating a live business site.

If you run into trouble, let me know,
    Bill

Talisman
    Participant

So far, everything is running smoothly…except that I have amnesia on how I fixed the menu tab colors the last time around! Basically, my menu bar is invisible. Options only appear when I hover over them. Changing the font/button colors in “Styling” doesn’t help. For the life of me, I can’t remember what I did last time to fix this. I’m sure I edited something in a PHP file. Do you mind taking a look at http://thetalismanrestaurant.com/main to see? Any direction is greatly appreciated!

All my other tweaks are in place, so I just have to upload all the new sliders from our photographer, and I have one request from the chef that you can probably help me with. He wants the content background to be a parchment texture rather than white. Bottega doesn’t give me the option to upload a background image for the content area–only for the background around the main wrap box of the site itself. Any way I can change the theme to allow me to upload a background image tile for content? If not, I’ll just go with a parchment-style color, but I know the chef would love to see a texture that looks like the restaurant’s real menus, which are cream linen paper.

Thanks much!

Jennie

Bill Robbins

Jennie,

Fixing the navigation is pretty important. You can add this to your Custom CSS box or directly to the style.css file at the bottom:

.menu a, 
    .menu a:visited {
    	color: #870105;
    }

That will change the menu item’s color to red.

You can add in a parchment background to the menu page. Here’s how

1. Go to Media and select “Add New.” Upload your image.
    2. Once the upload is finished, WordPress will give you the URL to that image. Copy it.
    3. Next in the Custom CSS box or at the bottom of the style.css file, paste this:

.page-template-page-menu-php #page {
      	background: url(https://www.organizedthemes.com/demo/agency/files/2012/08/blue.jpg) repeat top center;
      }

Just replace the http://www.organizedthemes.com/demo/agency/files/2012/08/blue.jpg with the URL to the image you just uploaded. Update your settings and that should add your parchment just to menu page template for you.

If you have any trouble, let me know,
      Bill

Talisman
    Participant

Thanks, Bill. The first step was a cinch, and the menu text is now the right color. But the second step didn’t work except at http://www.thetalismanrestaurant.com/main/menus/. That page has the background image, but none of the other menu sub-pages (“Starters,” “Salads,” etc.) does. Chef also wants that parchment to appear on ALL page backgrounds–posts, info pages, etc.

Finally, the top menu bar’s last drop-down menu (“What’s On?”) chops off at the edge instead of showing the full text. Is this due to the responsive nature of the theme or something else? I definitely want to make sure the drop-down items are readable.

Thanks for the fast support!

Warm regards,
    Jennie

Bill Robbins

Jennie,

Gotcha. That snippet was just for the menu page template. To include the menu groups themselves, you’ll need to use this:

.tax-menu_group #page,
    .page-template-page-menu-php #page {
    	background: url(https://www.organizedthemes.com/demo/agency/files/2012/08/blue.jpg) repeat top center;
    }

For the last menu item, you can use this to make it visible:

#wrap {
    	overflow: visible;
    }

I hope that helps out,
    Bill

Talisman
    Participant

Thanks for the hand-holding. I’m still a bit leery of making major changes to CSS when I’m not sure what points to what in a theme!

The sub-menu overflow is now showing up nicely. Perfect.

The parchment image is now behind all the menu sub-pages, which is great. If I want to add the parchment background to all pages throughout, do I change .page-template-page-full-php #page to show the image URL? (Ditto page-staff-php, etc.) Not sure if the chef wants that, but just in case….

Thanks again!

J.

Bill Robbins

Good question. I believe you could add the parchment to all the pages by using this:

#page,
    #page-full {
    background: url(http://www.organizedthemes.com/demo/agency/files/2012/08/blue.jpg) repeat top center;
    }

That should take care of it in case the chef wants to do that.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Can I make the Bottega update into a child theme?’ is closed to new replies.