Blog video

Support Area Forums Umami Blog video

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
URL to the page in question: http://chickenart.com/blog
  • Author
    Participant

Ok next question! (that was quick, lol)
    If I have html to embed a video into a blog post, how do I make the video itself appear when viewing the post on the main page?

Bill Robbins

Also a good question Sarah 🙂

If your video comes from a service that supports whats called oEmbed (there is a list at http://codex.wordpress.org/Embeds), all you have to is enter the URL to the page with your video on its own line and WordPress will fetch the video for you.

If video is from a service that doesn’t do that, you can still add it via the embed code. What you’ll need to do is edit the page/post where you want to have the video. Then look above the main content box and you’ll see a tab labeled text. Click on that tab.

That will switch from the visual editor to the HTML one. You can then paste the embed code from the service in here. Once you’ve done that update your page.

Switching back and forth between the tabs can cause the code to get messed up a bit, so you’d do best to exit out of editing that page before switching to the visual editor on another one. Then make sure to switch back to the text one on another page before editing the one with your video again, just to be on the safe side.

If you have any questions or trouble, let me know.

Bill

Participant

Hi Bill, thanks for the quick reply. I haven’t had any trouble adding videos to the blog posts, but was curious more about whether I could make the video show in the main blog list of posts. For instance if you go to mine: http://chickenart.com/blog/ and scroll to the very bottom (it’s not long) the first post has two videos in it, but you cannot see them until you click on the link and go to the actual post.

Is there a way to show and/or play the video from the main blog post page? Thanks very much.

Bill Robbins

Gotcha. You can do that. In the content tab in the Theme Options page you’ll find an option to switch from displaying the excerpt to the full post. If you’ll switch to showing the full post, that will allow you’re videos to be shown.

You can then insert the “more” tag into content of your posts to cut them off at that point if you’d like to have them truncated a bit. That tag (it’s in the toolbar above your content area when writing a post) will cause all the content that’s after it to be visible only on the individual post view.

See if that doesn’t allow your videos to show through.

Let me know if you have any trouble,
    Bill

Participant

Ok you are officially awesome. THANK YOU so much for all your responsive help and for the gorgeous software. 🙂

Bill Robbins

Thank you 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Blog video’ is closed to new replies.