Blog sidebar widgets

Support Area Forums Forward Blog sidebar widgets

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
URL to the page in question: http://nufi.org/wp/blog/
  • Author
    Henry Morris
    Participant

Hi Bill,
    i thought i was done but i notices when i added the side bar widget for the Men’s Health page it also showed up on the regular news page. How can have only show on the Men’s page

Thx

Bill Robbins

Hi Henry,

There are a few different plugins that will let you specify where a widget is loaded and where it isn’t. You might start with JP Widget Visibility (https://wordpress.org/plugins/jetpack-widget-visibility/). If you end up needing lots of additional sidebars you might go with a solution that lets you create new sidebars that replace others on specific pages. I would start out with the widget visibility one and see if it won’t get you to where you need to go first.

Bill

Henry Morris
    Participant

not sure how this works…..i installed but i don’t see any options. Totally lost.

Henry Morris
    Participant

when I change the visibility i/m back to where I started which is empty area in the sidebar instead displaying as full page.
    http://nufi.org/wp/full-width-page/blog/

Bill Robbins

Good Morning Henry,

I took a look at the visibility settings for you. It appears that the three widgets that are in the default sidebar are set to show if the page is men’s health. With them set to show if the page is men’s health, that means that they will only appear when the men’s health page is in view.

If you want a widget to appear everywhere, then do not set a visibility rule for it and it’ll appear everyplace that the default sidebar is called.

If you want a specific widget to only appear on a certain page, then set it to be visible if it’s that page.

You can also set a widget to be hidden on certain pages.

So say you have some widgets you want everywhere but the men’s health page. Set those to be hidden on the men’s health page. They’ll be everywhere else. Then the widgets for the men’s health page, set those to be show if it’s the men’s health page.

See how that goes,
    Bill

Henry Morris
    Participant

Hi Bill,
    the only page i want them to show is the men’s health page but now the news page is not displaying at full width. http://nufi.org/wp/full-width-page/blog/
    I hope this helps clear up

Henry Morris
    Participant

I just noticed all of my articles on men’s health page are gone…..ahhhh….not sire what happened. seems like i’m going in reverse

Henry Morris
    Participant

i think i fixed Ultimate Category Excluder issues. Now the Men’s Health articles are back on the page but hidden on mews page.

Bill Robbins

Are you only wanting to have a sidebar on the men’s health page; not just these widgets, but a sidebar at all?

If that’s the case then we need to change the global layout to No Sidebar. Then you can edit the men’s health page and change the layout there to have sidebar. I believe that drop-down is in the right hand column.

That should take out the sidebar everywhere but the men’s health page.

Let me know what you turn up,
    Bill

Henry Morris
    Participant

Yes, i only want the sidebar on that 1 page
    I believe i’m in the right spot, but i thought i changed yesterday with no luck.

Attachments:
    Bill Robbins

Go to Appearance in your dashboard and click on Customize. Choose the Content section. The second option there is for the default layout. Change that to no sidebar.

Then you can change the men’s health’s layout by editing the page and adjusting the drop-down.

The blog page is one page that can’t be changed by adjusting the layout box when you’re editing that page. WordPress hijacks whatever page is the “posts page” so options set there won’t be used. But the layout set in the customizer will change the blog page.

Let me know how it goes,
    Bill

Henry Morris
    Participant

VICTORY!!!!!
    VICTORY BILL!!!!!!

Bill Robbins

Sweet 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Blog sidebar widgets’ is closed to new replies.