Blog Posts

Support Area Forums Epic Blog Posts

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Vince Williams
    Participant

How do I set the Blog page to show all my old imported posts from another wordpress blog. I exported them and imported them into Epic, but they don’t show on the Blog Page. The posts show in the posts section not on the page.
    Thank you

Bill Robbins

Vince,

Great question. The best way to add your old posts is by creating a master category that you’ll include all of them in. Then add that category to your navigation directly. That will create a “page” for them.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Enjoy your weekend,
    Bill

Vince Williams
    Participant

I’m sorry Bill, I don’t understand what you posted. Can you try to give me a little more detail?

Is there a way in the reading settings to just tell it to make the Blog page the posts page?

When I try that I can’t get the front page to be the image slider and image widgets below?

Thanks

Bill Robbins

Vince,

Sorry for not being more thorough.

Essentially what you can do to create a blog page is to add a post category to your navigation directly. You can do that by going to the Navigation builder (Appearance section then Menu in your WordPress control panel). You can add a category from the left hand column just like you add a page.

Any posts that are part of that category will be displayed on that blog page. You can add all of your posts to that category, or just some of them. You can also add more than one category to your posts if you’d like to.

One way I often do this is to create a category called “blog” and then add every post I’d like to have in my blog to that category. Then I add the blog category to my navigation and that’s it. On our main site, that’s actually how I created the news section. It displays posts from the news category. Any posts that are not added to the news category (like customer testimonials) are not displayed there.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Enjoy your weekend,
    Bill

Vince Williams
    Participant

I am not sure about this still.
    In the past on other WordPress sites I have exported the old Blog posts and then imported them into wordpress and they have shown up on the page that I designated as the posts page.

So I cant do that on this template? Just wondering.
    Thanks
    Vince

Bill Robbins

Vince,

Yes some themes work that way. This one is a bit different because it has a built in home page. Because of that it is not possible to set an actual WordPress page to serve as your blog archive.

But you can add a category for your blog to your navigation. That’s how the blog page in the demo works. Here’s the spot where I added it in the navigation builder:

If you’ve never used categories with your posts before, then all of your posts will be part of the default WordPress category which is called “Uncategorized.” You can change its name by going to Posts in your WordPress control panel and selecting categories. From there you can edit the name of your category if you’d like to.

To create a blog page, just add a category to your navigation. That will create an archive of your blog posts or a “blog page.”

If you need me to set it up for you, just send a login to your site to support@organizedthemes.com and I’ll take care of it for you.

Thanks,
    Bill

Vince Williams
    Participant

Ok, I think I have it now. But how do you assign the page a layout? Is there a way to do that? Like, Full Width, Default or anything else.
    Thanks Again
    Vince

Bill Robbins

Interesting question. They will use the default layout. For posts in the theme, we’ve made use of what are called post formats: video, gallery, image and default. You can assign these to each post depending on the type of media you’re using. They do affect the layout to present the content in the best way possible.

The page templates can be used on pages to change their layout and content. Even if the theme was set up to use an actual WordPress page for your blog, choosing the template wouldn’t affect the appearance of the blog. When a static page is assigned to be the blog, WordPress skips the page templates and goes straight to a file called index.php which is the basic file of the theme.

It is possible to add alternative layouts to posts, some of our themes do that and ones from other developers do too. For this theme, we focused more on adding different layouts for items like staff members and podcasting. If you need different layout options for your blog page, let me know. It’s possible to make posts full width (though it might be hard to read) or to have a left hand sidebar if you’d rather.

I hope that helps,
    Bill

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Blog Posts’ is closed to new replies.