Blog page but no blog template

Support Area Forums Foxy Blog page but no blog template

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Terence
    Participant

Why do you have a blog page but no blog template?

This means, that you if you’re to have a blog, it must be on your home page (not good for SEO/Site Speed), and if you wan’t to have a static home page, you can’t have a blog, since there’s no blog template.

Any plans to add a blog template at some time in the future?

Bill Robbins

That’s actually not right. If you choose a static home page, you can choose any other page to be your blog page. WordPress will then use the archive.php file to deliver the blog content. That overrides any page template you choose.

The situation where you might need a blog page template is when you have a theme with a home.php file that delivers a default home page. Then it’s helpful to have a page template to create your blog with.

Terence
    Participant

How does that work then when you have a static home page but you also want to create a section or tab with more current information and interaction. What URL do I call in the menu item?

Bill Robbins

Just add the page that’s set to your be your blog in your reading settings to your navigation. That will take care of the URL for you.

Terence
    Participant

Well, I’ll be darned. Never new that. I always thought you needed a blog page template. Thanks very much for the education Bill.

Terence
    Participant

That works very well of course, as you always knew it would, but on testing the page load speed (un-cached but running on Cloudflare which includes minification etc), I now see that the home page loads on 5.1 seconds of which 4.9 is taken by Supersized 3.1 to load three images.

I only have these 3 background images set up, so far, and each of them is around 50k-60k. I will add W3TC later when I have finished the initial development but are there any demon tips or tricks you can give me to reduce that delay and increase the underlying page-load speed performance?

Bill Robbins

Server configurations are outside my area of expertise, so I’m not in a good position to offer much advice here. On our demo, I’m actually not running any caching and with three images of 114kb, 232kb and 60kb the page loaded in 1.81 seconds (http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/lvBDMMj6b/http://www.organizedthemes.com/try/foxy/).

The total page size is just over 600kb with the demo bar included. You should do better than you are now with W3 Total Cache, especially if you run some experiments to find the right settings for your server. That said, if possible, using the best hosting you can will generally be the best way to speed up your site.

Terence
    Participant

I think I have got the best hosting – StandingCloud – [http://www.standingcloud.com/], because “best hosting” means more than just raw speed, of course. I’ve tried about a dozen, from Media Temple, to Slicehost to VPS.net, and they have all got their problems. One even had both a server AND a NAS outage, and sent me an email to say sorry, but they’d lost my site. But StandingCloud has never, EVER, let me down, and their support is second to none. The ARE the best, in my view.

Any chance you could take a look at this post for me?

Terence
    Participant

In fact, I just checked, by my server is actually the same as you – Rackspace – only mine is in London and the only major difference, apart from that, is that I have Cloudflare in between (edge servers in London now). I am going to disconnect Cloudflare and do some experimentation and see where all the latency is coming from.

Bill Robbins

Have fun experimenting. If I ever get caught up, some web optimization will be on my to-do list.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Blog page but no blog template’ is closed to new replies.