blank site

Support Area Forums Elite blank site

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
URL to the page in question: http://
  • Author
    sensei m
    Participant

Hi Bill ( I know i didnt a support ticket yesterday and i dont see it hear anymore, i guess it didnt go through)
    Anyway My website kikomi.com is blank-completely white. I spoke to my hosting and she wanted my permission to restart my plugins. I told her no because my woocommerce is also set up and that is a lot of work to have to redo! Instead i tried deleting some plugins and deactivating other plugins and i updated all plugins… my site is still blank

Can you help me?

Thank you!

sensei m
    Participant

I meant to say I know I did a support ticket*

Bill Robbins

Generally when you see a white screen like that it means there is a PHP error someplace, particularly in a “functions” file (something loaded via the theme’s functions.php file). There is a error before the page is generated enough to display anything.

First you need to be able to log back in. To do that, let’s try manually deactivating all your plugins and possibly your theme.

1. Use your web host’s control panel’s file browser or a FTP program to go to the wp-content/plugins/ folder on your server.
    2. Change the name of each of your plugins by adding a 1 to the end of the folders name (like akismet1).
    3. See if you can log back in now. If you can, don’t go to the plugins screen, but stay on the dashboard page.
    4. Try taking out the 1 from each name, one by one, checking to see if the site still works after each one is changed. If it stops working at any point you’ll know where the conflict is.
    5. If the site didn’t start working when you changed the names of the plugins, then switch from the plugins folder to the wp-content/themes/ folder and add a 1 to the current theme’s folder name. If you’re using a child theme, add it to the child theme.
    6. See if you can log in then.

My best guess is there is a conflict in the theme. It could be with a plugin, but if it was only a plugin, WordPress would catch the fatal error and deactivate the plugin. With a theme if there is an error you’ll get a white screen.

If you’re recently updated, edited or installed anything new, those are good places to look since it was working and now isn’t.

Let me know what you turn up,
    Bill

sensei m
    Participant

I can log in my wp-admin …that is how i deleted/deactivated some of my plugins. should i still do the following steps you gave being that i cant already log in

Bill Robbins

If you can log in you’d don’t need to go through the folder renaming. Start by deactivating all your plugins. Deactivating a plugin shouldn’t affect it’s data. Turn them all off and see if you can see the site again. If you can turn them on, one by one until you can’t. That’ll let you know where the error is.

If it’s not a plugin, then if you’re using a child theme, switch to the parent and see how it goes. If that fixes it, then the issue is in the child theme. If you’re not using a child theme, then switch to one of the default WordPress themes like TwentyFifteen and see if the site comes back.

sensei m
    Participant

Okay so i deactivated the plugins and the site is still blank. I am actually unsure if i have a childs theme and how to find out. I wouldn’t know how to switch to a parent theme either

Bill Robbins

If you go to Appearance in your WordPress dashboard and click on Themes you’ll be able to see what theme is active. If you hover over it, there will be a link for more details about that theme.

sensei m
    Participant

Okau the only theme details i see is
    EliteVersion: 2.2.0
    By Organized Themes
    A WooCommerce and business theme

so i guess its not a childtheme?

So i went ahead and activated a 2015 theme and the site still didnt come back

Bill Robbins

If it doesn’t work with TwentyFifteeen then it’s either something wrong with the WordPress installation or the server.

You can try reinstalling the files of the current WordPress version. Go to the updates section in your dashboard. At the top there will be an option to update WordPress if one is available. If you have the current version there will be an option to reinstall it. You can do that and occasionally it will fix an error.

If that doesn’t do it, I would make a backup of your site and download it to your computer. Then reach out to your host for help.

Let me know what you turn up.

sensei m
    Participant

the reinstall didnt work either. thanks for all your help i will backup and contact them, thank you!

Bill Robbins

Always happy to help. Sorry that didn’t fix it for you.

Bill

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘blank site’ is closed to new replies.