background photo for posts

Support Area Forums Foxy background photo for posts

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
URL to the page in question: http://new.hanloncomm.com
  • Author
    Tom Hanlon
    Participant

Bill,

Please take a brief look at my site – it’s pretty much ready to publish! Very, very pleased with both the theme and the support. (I just did a test post and lauded your themes and service in it, and am recommending you to a client who is putting together a website.)

For posts, can I set a “featured image” that will be the background for all posts? (That’s preferred.) Or do I have to choose and set the image each time I create a post? Not a big deal, but I’d set it if I could.

I created two posts. One has an image and the other, by default, doesn’t.

Thanks for your help. You’ve been awesome and your work is really superior.

Tom

Bill Robbins

Thanks Tom,

I really do appreciate the kind words and the recommendations too.

Great question. If you choose the image format and assign a featured image, then it will be displayed on that page/post.

If one is not assigned, then the theme will go to the ones added via the backgrounds tab in the theme options page. So you can use to create a default so to speak for your post backgrounds. Then you can simply override them as you’d like to on individual posts.

If you run into any trouble, let me know.

Thanks again,
    Bill

Tom Hanlon
    Participant

Bill,

Not certain I’m following you – sorry (I’m really inept at this stuff). Maybe the problem is each post is treated as a new page that I have to select a featured image for? Maybe I haven’t set up the post widget correctly? (Maybe posts aren’t widgets? You see how lost I am?) Is it supposed to be showing up in my menu?

I went to theme options/backgrounds, but that looks to pertain only to a slideshow? At the very end, in archives, I put the photo that I want to be featured for the blog… but it didn’t show with a new post.

If we can’t figure this out it’s truly no big deal. I’ll only blog once a week, most likely. It takes about 5 seconds to choose an image.

One more question: is it important for me to have the “meta” widget showing?

Thanks for all of your help.
    Tom

Bill Robbins

Sorry we’re not quite connecting there. You can set a default background image. It will appear when you’re not using a featured image on that page/post.

To set it, go to the Theme Options page and select the Background tab. You can use these options to make a slideshow, but if you only add one image to the first upload spot, it will remain static.

There is an uploader for the “blog.” That is used when your visitor is viewing an archive. WordPress doesn’t recognize adding a featured image to your page (where all the posts are listed) so that option is there if you’d like to have a separate background in that spot from the rest of your site. It’s completely optional.

Widgets are small bits of content that can be added below the navigation menu on your left. In the theme demo, the home page has a contact widget that displays the hours and address of the fictional restaurant. They are optional and you can use them as you see fit.

Let me know if you have any trouble,
    Bill

Tom Hanlon
    Participant

Great! Got it. Didn’t realize I needed to put the photo in that first upload spot. Works like a charm.

One question on the “meta” widget. Should I leave that showing or take it off? Is there any reason to leave it showing?

Thanks for all of your help.

Tom

Bill Robbins

Glad that’s working for you. I would definitely take out that widget. Most of the standard ones are not very useful.

Congratulations on being nearly finished.

Tom Hanlon
    Participant

Super. Will do, Bill (taking out the meta widget). At some point we’ll come back and get the Elite theme for my wife’s portfolio. In the meantime, I am steering people to you, recommending your business. I’m sure at some point I’ll come back to you with some probably incredibly easy questions regarding Foxy… but in the meantime, thank you for a great theme and great service.

Oh – one quick question (!). On the menu, I have a four or five subheads or submenus for “book services.” When you put your cursor over “book services,” the submenu opens up (which is appropriate and good!). Then if you scroll down to “rates” on the menu, after a second or two, the submenu closes up and if you happen to try to click on rates at that moment, you don’t get it, because the menu has snapped shut.

Not sure if there’s any real solution – just wondering if you’ve run across this with this theme and have any ideas. I don’t really want the submenu to stay OPEN the whole time, either… so I’m not really clear in what I’m asking, am I?! Bottom line, I’m okay with it, just wondering if there are any options in handling that issue. Thanks and sorry for pestering you so much today!

Tom

Bill Robbins

Tom,

Thanks so much for the referrals. I really do appreciate it.

That is a good question about the menus. There’s also not really a way around it unfortunately. It’s a trade off for the style menu that the theme has. Over the years, we’ve optimized it a bit so it’s better than it once was, but changing positions can still be a problem. Sorry about that.

Let me know when you’re ready to move on to the next one.

Take care,
    Bill

Tom Hanlon
    Participant

No problem. Will let you know about the Elite one – hopefully next week. Have a good weekend!

Tom

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘background photo for posts’ is closed to new replies.