background images

Support Area Forums Foxy background images

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    trina buhler
    Participant

What is the best format, size, compression for background images. I don’t want the site to take a long time for it to load up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Trina

Terence
    Participant

Trina,

Sorry, but it all depends on what style of images and how many.

You need to try and keep each background image under about 50k, which should be possible even with quite a high resolution picture, depending on what tools you are using to edit and save the files.

Also, you might want to install Smushit! on your site BEFORE you upload the files. It will then extract all the unnecessary invisible junk and data various software puts in the files, and slim them down safely and automatically when you upload them.

If you had searched this forum you might have found a number of other threads on this issue. In the Foxy demo Bill uses images from 1200 by 800 to 1500 by 1800. For best results he recommends not to go less than 1000 pixels wide or wider than 2000 pixels.

Personally I’ve used 1060 x 1060 because that was a size I saw he was using, among others, and it works fine for me. I have 5 background images loaded on my home page and the site loads in less than a second – 553 milliseconds actually.

But as you may, or may not know, there’s far more than just size of the pictures that effects site load speed.

Hope that helps.

Antons Bungis
    Participant

BTW,

regarding BG images/slide order – there is something wrong with random option – it gives up to 5 times the same picture (do not randomly change) time by time and 3 times the same in a row is very common.

is there any solution?

Antons

Bill Robbins

Tina,

Terrence had some great suggestions there. I’d suggest experimenting a bit to see what gives you the best results. Images are not created equally. A complicated background image will need a larger file size than one that is relatively simple.

If possible, I’d test it on as large a monitor as you have access too because that is where the differences in image quality will be the most noticeable.

Bill Robbins

Antons,

Good question. I have noticed that it does repeat upon refresh the “random” image. Part of the trouble is having a small pool or images to work with. Each refresh is also independent of the one before. I’ll ask the developer of the background script if they have any suggestions at increasing the randomness of it.

Terence
    Participant

More pictures = increased entropy?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘background images’ is closed to new replies.