Authentic Theme child

Support Area Forums Authentic Authentic Theme child

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Bill,
    I’ve been trying to make a child theme off Authentic, and am losing some images and the main navigation menu as a result. All I have in the child theme is style.css that imports the original style sheet, and the footer.php file that I’ve modified.

———–
    Child theme style.css:

/*
    Theme Name: Authentic Child
    Description: Child theme for Authentic Church
    Template: authentic

*/

@import url(“../authentic/style.css”);
    ———–

When I activate the child theme, however, the background, logo, and menu** disappear. I’ve compared the source code when using the parent vs child theme, and noticed that the head section of the child theme is missing things that the parent theme has, and it seems to relate mostly to the Theme Options in WordPress.

For example, instead of showing the path to the logo.

I’m guessing I need to explicitly include some files or somehow direct the child theme to use the settings in Theme Options, but I’m not sure how to do so. Thanks for any light you can shed on this issue.

**Update: I found out I have to reset the header menu to my custom menu, so the menu does show up in the child theme. I imagine the other fixes are similar, where I just have to “reactivate” settings in WP somehow.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, that’s it. The Theme Options page needs to be reset. It was still showing the info I had populated for the parent theme, but upon refresh, it’s blank. Disregard my earlier inquiry! Thanks.

Bill Robbins

Great question. There are actually two different versions of the theme released that are actually built on two separate frameworks. The one that is available in the main listing above (Themes & Downloads) uses the original framework. There is a beta version available at the top of the instructions page that uses the Options Framework that most of our themes currently use (and all eventually will).

If you’re not too far along to go back, I’d suggest making the switch to the 1.2.0 that’s available on the instructions page. The only reason it isn’t in the main release just yet is we are nearly finished with making the theme responsive which will be included in the 1.2.0 release. Outside of that all the other changes are all ready there and good to go.

If you’re already using that version, you may need to make a change to the functions.php file to help it work with your child theme. Here’s what to do:

1. Install and actiavate a plugin called Options Framework
    2. Next edit the functions.php file and look for this spot:

and delete it.

3. Save your changes.

At that point I’d see if the options can be saved. If you’re still having trouble saving the options, then copy the file called options.php and paste it into your child theme. That should take care of that.

If you need any help just let me know.

Thank you for your business,
    Bill

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Authentic Theme child’ is closed to new replies.