Assorted Home Page Questions

Support Area Forums Church Builder Assorted Home Page Questions

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
URL to the page in question: http://www.rootscommunitychurch.com/newsite/
  • Author
    Jeremy Dane
    Participant

Hey Bill,
    I’ve got a few things that have come up that I can’t figure out.

Logo:
    – how is the image file being adjusted once we add it in the customize tool? We can’t seem to add it in there without it causing the header bar to stretch too much. Should I follow a particular set of guidelines?
    – Do you see any issues with the code that may be causing it to act funny?

Navigation Menu:
    – currently the nav items is set to be just below the top of that header area. Is it possible to center it in that space? That would be very helpful so that we can have a larger logo file in there and be able to eliminate some of that white space beneath the nav

Animated Text widget (on Home Page):
    – i can’t figure out for the life of me where this thing went. Can you see why that’s no longer displaying on the home page?

Login Not Required:
    – we are currently working on the site in a test environment. For some reason we can now see it even when we are not logged in. Did something happen to the template? I need this to remain hidden until launch. If I leave the home page and go here: http://www.rootscommunitychurch.com/newsite/im-new-here/, I can then see the WP bar across the top again. Is it possible that one of the users hit the launch button or something?

As always, very grateful for your help.

– Jeremy

Bill Robbins

Good Morning Jeremy,

Let’s see if we can track down some help for you.

1. The logo is set to display at the size that it is uploaded at. I’ve intentionally left it non specific because logos come in all types of shapes and sizes. Often web designs work a bit better with wide, rectangular logos than ones that are more square or vertically oriented rectangles.

The header area will stretch as the logo gets taller to accommodate it. Essentially the only ways around that would be to have a shorter logo or cause the logo to extend down beyond the header bar. If you want to see what that would look like, add this to the Custom CSS spot in the customizer:

@media screen and (min-width: 1024px) {

#logo {
    		position: absolute;
    		background-color: #f9faf9;
    	}

}

2. You can move the navigation menu down so it in line with the center of the logo. Add this to the Custom CSS box and that should move it down for you:

@media screen and (min-width: 1024px) {

nav#primary-site-navigation {
    		margin-top: 70px;
    	}

}

If you’d like it to continue to do that at smaller screen sizes, then change the 1024 in the snippet above to a smaller size like 768.

3. It looks like the page is not loading completely. It’s stopping loading at the footer widget area. The javascript that loads some of those features is at the bottom of the page so with the page not rendering all the way down that code isn’t loading causing the parallax and animated text to not appear. Do you have any widgets in there?

4. The development environments are a bit different from web host to web host. It’s not a core feature of WordPress but is something that they add as a service for their customers.

If the coming soon has been dismissed and you can’t turn it back on, you could use a plugin like Coming Soon CC (https://wordpress.org/plugins/cc-coming-soon/). It’ll put up a splash page that only non-logged in users see.

Let me know if you have any questions and what you discover about the footer.

Bill

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘Assorted Home Page Questions’ is closed to new replies.