appearance of front page

Support Area Forums Progress appearance of front page

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    ben ramlee
    Participant

Hi Bill, i have just setup
    http://www.pekanmayarecords.com/

at first the front page is alright with slider (but no picture yet) and menu.
    but not the slideimage gone further up and cover the menu.

is there anything wrong about it?
    did i do anything wrong?
    should i reinstall the theme again?

hope to hear from u soon!

:)ben

Bill Robbins

Ben,

Good question. There is a style conflict with the NextGen gallery plugin that’s causing the problem. Here’s how you can fix it.

1) Go to the appearance section and select theme options.
    2) Choose the “Styling” and select “Yes” from the drop down at the top to include custom styling.
    3) Scroll down to the very bottom until you see a box for “Custom CSS”
    4) Paste this into that box:

body { height: auto !important; } 

5) Save your changes

That should keep the slideshow box in line. If you have any trouble, let me know.

Take care,
    Bill

ben ramlee
    Participant

ok thank you! managed to make it work 🙂 i have another issue, but have to emailed you the attachment.

i want to make thre boxes below slider same alignment, how do i do that Bill? thank you in advance 🙂

Bill Robbins

If you’d like to make the widget boxes the same height you can do that too. Just paste this into the box for “Custom CSS” you used above:

.home-widgets .widget { height: 310px }

That will set the height of the home page widgets at 310 pixels tall. If you need more space for one of your widgets in the future, just change the height there so you have the room you need.

Bryan Berghoef
    Participant

Bill-
    How do I get pictures in the widgets under the action bar, as Progress is displayed on your website?

Bill Robbins

Bryan,

Great question. The widgets on the home page are “Featured Page” widgets. They will display the “Featured Image” of the specified page along with a link to the page and some content from it. If you need help adding a featured image, there is a quick screencast in our video section that walks through that.

Let me know if you have any questions or trouble,
    Bill

Bryan Berghoef
    Participant

Got it – that makes sense. Hadn’t gotten that far yet. Will check it out. Thanks!

Bill Robbins

No problem. If I can help with anything else, just let me know.

Bryan Berghoef
    Participant

I added a ‘Featured Page’ widget and my site froze. I can no longer access the main site nor the admin panel. Any ideas? Is this a problem with WordPress or with my webhost? It’s been over half an hour and I can access any other website fine. :/

Bryan Berghoef
    Participant

Update: it cleared up. Strange.

Bill Robbins

If you can still log into your web host’s control panel and access a file browser or you have FTP access to your site, here’s what I’d suggest doing.

Browse to the wp-content/themes directory. Try renaming the progress directory to something like progress2 and see if you can then login. That should force WordPress to switch to the default theme. Then try logging in.

If you’re successful, then deactivate any plugins you may be running and turn back on the Progress theme. Try the widget again. If you have no trouble, then activate your plugins one by one until you’re back up and running or you find where the conflict is.

Let me know if I can help,
    Bill

Bryan Berghoef
    Participant

I can access the site now. Thanks for the tips if it happens again!

Also – success in getting a picture to show up on main page through ‘Featured Page’ widget. Still not quite right though: in the sample of ‘Progress’ it shows an image on top, then the title, some text and a ‘read more’ link to the page.

When I set it up, it has the Title on top, then the image, and then the text of the page. When I try to limit the text character count to make use of the ‘read more’ link, it deletes the photo.

I’d like it how the example shows it, photo on top, title, some text, and read more link.
    Tried a few things but it keeps title on top, and/or deleting image if I limit the character count.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Bill Robbins

Bryan,

That doesn’t sound good. I did another test installation of Progress just a few minutes ago to see if I encountered the same problem. I tried adding widgets, changing the length of the text shown and so on, but didn’t have any trouble. Here’s what the widgets look like in the demo:

Are you running any plugins? If you don’t mind letting me know which ones you are running we may be able to track down any trouble that way. If you’re not running any plugins, let me know that too.

We’ll get to the bottom of the trouble,
    Bill

Bryan Berghoef
    Participant

When I set it up like you have it, with a 55 character limit, it deletes the photo. Without the character limit, it puts the title on top of the image, and then puts the entire content of the page without a link to the page.

The only plugin I have going is Akismet.

Bill Robbins

Bryan,

I’m glad to hear that it cleared up. If it happens again, let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Bryan Berghoef
    Participant

The only thing that cleared up was that I could access the page again. The problem with the featured page widget is persisting, as per the most recent two messages I posted.

Bill Robbins

Sorry the last email notification I had was one saying that it had cleared up and the last two forum posts were no longer there. I thought you had removed them.

Is there any way you could email me a login to your site so I can take a closer look? I haven’t been able to recreate the problem or had another report of it. Being able to look see it in action would be helpful. You can email it to support@organizedthemes.com

Thanks

Bill Robbins

Brian,

Thanks for sending over the login. I took a look at your widgets and the Why DC? page. The widget pulls the featured image for that page and displays it. It didn’t appear that the image uploaded on that page had been set as the featured image. Once I set it, the image and the text appeared as expected. I removed and added the widget a few times to make sure it would stick.

There is a quick video in the support section about featured images too.

If it gives you any other trouble, please let me know.

I appreciate your patience and business,
    Bill

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘appearance of front page’ is closed to new replies.