adding youtube to Forward Theme

Support Area Forums Forward adding youtube to Forward Theme

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
URL to the page in question: http://http://parkinsonsfitness.org/2016
  • Author
    Jennifer Gonyea
    Participant

Hi Bill, I’m trying to add a youtube icon and link from home page. I downloaded a youtube plugin but the instructions don’t make sense with options for this theme. Can you walk me through this?

thanks! Jennifer

Bill Robbins

Hi Jennifer,

What are you looking to do with YouTube? There’s pretty good support in the WordPress core already. If you’ll let me know which plugin you’re using and what you’d like to do, I see if I can help.

Bill

Jennifer Gonyea
    Participant

Thanks! I just downloaded the “youtube embedded plugin” and the non-profit just wants a social media link from the home page to their youtube page. They don’t have many videos right now but it would also be nice to be able to post one of their videos from a page in the future.

Jennifer

Bill Robbins

Here’s what I would suggest. Skip the plugin. To embed a YouTube video into a page or post, all you need to do is enter the URL to the video on its own line in the content of the page. WordPress will fetch the video and display it instead of the URL. No plugins needed.

You can also add a YouTube icon next to the Facebook one in the navigation bar. Since there is already one social icon there, it makes sense to add any others next to it.

Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress dashboard and click on Menus. You can use the “Select a menu to edit” dropdown at the top to choose the one that has your social icons in it. Then look on the left for custom links and there, add a link to your YouTube page. As long as the URL goes to youtube.com, the theme will replace the text with a YouTube icon.

Hope that helps out.

Bill

Jennifer Gonyea
    Participant

Hi Bill, thanks for walking me through this. I was able to add the YouTube link to the nav. bar but it didn’t link to the icon, like I was hoping, and I want to group it to the right ith the Facebook icon. Is there a way to adjust this?

Thanks, Jen

Bill Robbins

Hi Jennifer,

It looks like the link was added to the wrong navigation menu. Again, you’ll need to use the drop down at the top of the menu screen to choose the one that has your Facebook link. Add the YouTube link there and save the menu.

Bill

Jennifer Gonyea
    Participant

yes, got it thank you!

Bill Robbins

Glad that worked out for you 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘adding youtube to Forward Theme’ is closed to new replies.