Adding "read more" link at the end of category page excerpts

Support Area Forums Progress Adding "read more" link at the end of category page excerpts

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Jonathan Priest
    Participant

How do you replace the […] that appears at the end of each excerpt on the category pages with a hyperlink into the full text post. I would like this link to say “read more” or something to that effect. It is not clear that a user would need to click the title of the post to see the whole thing. Thanks for such an awesome theme!

Jonathan

Bill Robbins

Jonathan,

I’m glad you’re enjoying the theme. You can change the excerpt that is shown to remove the […] and replace it with a read more link. Here’s how:

1. Go to the Appearance section of your WordPress control panel and select edit to open up the theme editor.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose functions.php.
    3. Scroll down to the very bottom and paste this right before the closing ?>:

4. Save your changes.

That should take out the […] and add in a “Read More” link. You can change the Read More text by editing that in the code snippet.

If you have any trouble/questions, just let me know.

Enjoy your weekend,
    Bill

Jonathan Priest
    Participant

Thanks so much Bill, it worked like a charm. Here is the theme in action: http://healinggroovymichelle.com

Bill Robbins

Jonathan,

Thanks so much for sharing. We’ll be praying that she gets better.

On a technical note, I forgot to mention that you’ll want to select “no” in the theme options on using the built in SEO. We use the excerpt for our description tag and altering it can sometimes cause the end of the “read more” to show up at the top of the page.

To avoid that, turn off the built in SEO and I’d suggest using a plugin called WordPress SEO by Yoast instead (I use it on my own sites).

If I can help at all, let me know,
    Bill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Adding "read more" link at the end of category page excerpts’ is closed to new replies.