Add staff members via footer widget

Support Area Forums Forward Add staff members via footer widget

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    J
    Participant

Hello again, Bill

There was another thing that I initially asked about in addition to displaying of our sponsors…

That was my request to have partners displayed in our footer. Ideally, our partners’ logos would be displayed in rows of three (100 x 100 pixels each) in the right of our footer. IACTM currently has six partners, thus these will fill two rows, however we would like to be able to add more partners should we acquire more in future.

Is this achievable?

Bill Robbins

Good Morning,

I split this question off into a separate topic to keep things organized for us. You can do that. Most likely you’ll want to use a plugin like that lets you display “posts” in this case staff members via a widget. There are quite a few of these plugins that are similar, but the idea is the same. They’ll all show recent entries from the post type of your choice, which in this case for us is staff.

Here are a few plugins you can look at:

Ultimate Posts Widget — https://wordpress.org/plugins/ultimate-posts-widget/
    Flexible Posts Widget — https://wordpress.org/plugins/flexible-posts-widget/
    Recent Posts Widget Extended — https://wordpress.org/plugins/recent-posts-widget-extended/

The idea here would be to add one of these widgets to your footer sidebar and select the staff custom post type and the staff group (taxonomy) that you’d like to show. I believe most of these widgets will let you choose a thumbnail size too and customize what if any text to show.

See if any of those work for you. If one is able to display the content close to what you have in mind, we can likely make some changes via CSS if necessary.

The theme does have a “shortcode” that can be used to display a list of staff, but it displays all the content that’s found in the list. We could hide everything but the image with CSS if necessary. Hopefully one of those plugins will do the trick though so we don’t load so much content just to hide it.

Let me know how it goes,
    Bill

J
    Participant

Bill, thanks (once again) for your assistance and useful advice.

The Flexible Posts Widget seems to be doing close to what we’d like. Just that the images (even the smallest option) are too big and it includes text (the partner’s name) which occupies too much space in the footer. If we could eliminate that text and include only the parter’s featured image (at 100 x 100 pixels) that would be good. Even better would be if they could be displayed in rows of three.

Can this be done?

Bill Robbins

Give this a try:

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress dashboard and click on Customize.
    2. Look down for the advanced section and click on it. Then choose Custom CSS.
    3. In the box there, add this:

ul.dpe-flexible-posts li {
      	float: left;
      	width: 30%;
      	margin-bottom: 15px;
      	text-align: center;
      }

ul.dpe-flexible-posts li:nth-child(3n+2) {
      	margin-left: 5%;
      	margin-right: 5%;
      }

ul.dpe-flexible-posts li:nth-child(3n+1) {
      	clear: both;
      }

4. Save your changes.

I believe after you add that, the images will line up in rows of three. Make sure to upload images that have the same dimensions so that they end up being even on the front end of your site.

Let me know how it goes.

Have a great day,
    Bill

J
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Bill Robbins
    Bill Robbins

Sorry about that. 400 miles later, I’m back. Change the snippet that I gave you above to this:

ul.dpe-flexible-posts li {
    	float: left;
    	width: 30%;
    	margin-bottom: 15px;
    	text-align: center;
    	list-style-type: none;
    }

ul.dpe-flexible-posts li .title {
    	display: none;
    }

ul.dpe-flexible-posts li:nth-child(3n+2) {
    	margin-left: 5%;
    	margin-right: 5%;
    }

ul.dpe-flexible-posts li:nth-child(3n+1) {
    	clear: both;
    }

and see if that won’t remove the titles and bullet points for you. Let me know if it gives you any trouble.

Bill

J
    Participant
    Bill Robbins

Thanks. I do appreciate it. My wife’s uncle had emphysema for a long time and it looks like that’s finally what ended his life.

You’re welcome to add in a donation product with WooCommerce. The way to do that is by adding a widget to any widget area. The widget will allow you to display a graph, description, your goal and a donate button.

As it is the widget is a bit too large to insert into the header bar of a widget title. It would take a pretty good bit of editing to do that as well. If you feel you need to give that a shot, let me know and I can give you a quote for making that change.

Have a great weekend,
    Bill

J
    Participant

Thanks Bill,

I’ll try adding the donation display graph to our sidebar and see if that works. Does this require me to install WooCommerce as well as a specific donation plugin and then go from there?

Also, I’ve created 3 different staff groups, one of which are “partners” – which are supposed to be the only staff group that appear in the partners area of our footer. Today I created a beneficiary and she is in the beneficiary group only, however she is appearing in the partners display area of our footer. How can this be prevented?

Plus, your Forward demo site features events, but I don’t see that in our admin panel. We’d like to display events in our footer and we hope that the IACTM accredited trainers that will be featured in our site’s directory will be able to add their events to IACTM’s events list themselves. Is this possible?

Bill Robbins

Hello,

In the Forward theme demo, we use The Events Calendar plugin to create the events section. That’s the plugin I would suggest using to add events to your site.

To create donations, you’ll need to install WooCommerce and our campaign extension plugin for WooCommerce. After that you can create a donation “product” and add it via the widget.

For your footer staff members, open up that widget’s options. Make sure to click on the taxonomy and terms tab in the widget’s option panel. There you can choose the taxonomy you’re working with (staff groups) and then the group you’d like to display there. That’s how to limit the widget to displaying only one group.

Take care,
    Bill

J
    Participant

Thanks (again) Bill,

All clear! What is your campaign extension plugin called (so that I can find it and install it)?

Regarding our Mailchimp integration – After clicking the subscription button, the pages reloads and one doesn’t know if the subscription was successful or not (unless you scroll back down to the subscription box where there’s a little confirmation message). I’d prefer that a confirmation page opens up. Is this possible?

Bill Robbins

You can find our extension plugin on our downloads page (https://support.organizedthemes.com/downloads/).

You’re welcome to use a different MailChimp form. To do that you’ll need go with a plugin. You might look at MailChimp for WordPress (https://wordpress.org/plugins/mailchimp-for-wp/) which is pretty good plugin that has a good many options.

You could also go with a pop up plugin that asks people to subscribe using something like Optin Monster. If you go that route, I would run some A/B tests on it to make sure it doesn’t hurt your bounce rate too much. Pop ups can be very effective, but they also will cause some visitors to leave a bit early.

J
    Participant

Thanks for outlining the options, Bill

Greatly appreciating your friendly and compatent service.

Have a lovely weekend.

Bill Robbins

Happy to help out. I hope you have a lovely weekend too 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘Add staff members via footer widget’ is closed to new replies.