404 fatal error

Support Area Forums Foundation 404 fatal error

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
URL to the page in question: http://rogersyouthranch.org
  • Author
    Madeleine Temme
    Participant

Hey…
    Well, I updated WordPress and plugged in Yoast SEO and completely lost my website to 404 errors. I can’t even access my dashboard. Any ideas? And If I need to start over…where do I begin?

Thanks so much,
    Madeleine Temme

Bill Robbins

Hello Madeleine,

About 95% of not found errors in WordPress are related to “permalnks” (the endings of the URL’s in the site). Here’s how to straighten those troubles out.

1. Go to Settings in your WordPress dashboard and click on Permalinks.
    2. Scroll down to the bottom and click save. This will clear out the permalink cache.
    3. Check your site again on the front end and see if the missing pages now work.
    4. If they don’t, go back to permalinks and choose the plain option and save your settings.
    5. Check your front end again to see if they are working now.

If that doesn’t do it, let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Madeleine Temme
    Participant

I can’t get into my dashboard…here’s what is showing up:

W3 Total Cache Error: some files appear to be missing or out of place. Please re-install plugin or remove /ranchwp/wp-content/advanced-cache.php.

Bill Robbins

Sounds like you’ll need to use the file browser inside your web host’s control panel to find that file and delete it then.

Madeleine Temme
    Participant

It just looks like it’s completely gone…

https://wordpress.com/settings/general/rogersyouthranch.wordpress.com

rogersyouthranch@yahoo.com
    Troy_Idaho57

Looks like I need to start over???

Madeleine Temme
    Participant

I’m sorry, I don’t know what that means or how to do that…

Bill Robbins

I wish I could be more specific but what that will look like will vary from web host to web host. GoDaddy’s instructions would be different from SiteGround which will be different from BlueHost.

All of them should have some type of file browser inside their control panel. That’s a separate control panel from your WordPress one. This would likely be where your hosting account information is — billing, email and so on.

Whoever is the host should help you out with this if it isn’t something you feel comfortable doing yourself. You should be able to get help inside of their support system. Any halfway decent host should take care of that for you. It’s part of what you’re paying them for to host your website.

You’re site isn’t gone so you don’t have to start over. Once that issue is fixed you’ll be good to go again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘404 fatal error’ is closed to new replies.