404 after creating pages

Support Area Forums Moonrise 404 after creating pages

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Birgit Reizevoort
    Participant

Hi Bill,

I just created 2 new pages (nothing special) but now I get the 404 when Ioading the website.

Before, I created pages the same way I did now and all went fine.

Help!

Bests,
    Birgit

Bill Robbins

Usually that happens when something is off with your “permalinks.” Go to the Settings section and select “permalinks.” Select the default one and save your changes. Now try to view your pages and see if that works. If it does, then try one of the “prettier options.” After you save them, make sure that there are no error messages at the bottom of the page. Sometimes WordPress can’t write the changes to the server configuration file that controls that. It’ll usually tell you if there is a problem.

If you need any help, let me know,
    Bill

Birgit Reizevoort
    Participant

Addition:

Also, I have moved all the original pages to the trash can. That shouldn’t be a problem, right? Putting them back didn’t work..

Bill Robbins

The only hangup having pages in the trash is you can’t have the same “slug” (the end of the page’s URL) on two pages, even if one is in the trash.

If there’s a page in the trash with the slug of “about” and you create a new page called “about” then it’ll end up with the slug “about-2”

That’s the only trouble you might have.

Birgit Reizevoort
    Participant

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I changed the permalinks to the default option, but unfortunately that didn’t work… Still 404..

Any suggestions?

Bill Robbins

Any chance you could send over a login to support@organizedthemes.com? That way I can take a closer look.

Birgit Reizevoort
    Participant

Also I made changes to footer.php, I removed the copy + website like this:

Putting the copy back doesn’t fix it, though.

And I made changes to the 404 page, but only after it broke.

Birgit Reizevoort
    Participant

Thanks Bill – I just sent you the login.

My version of WP is set to Dutch. Hope that isn’t a problem.

Bill Robbins

Brigit,

Thanks for the login. WordPress keeps most items in the same spot across languages which is really helpful.

I took a look and in your reading settings, it’s set to have your front page show a static page, but no page is selected. That’s why you’re getting a 404 error on the home page. Also in your navigation, there are links to features and blog both of which no longer exist.

So set up a home page and remove any links in your navigation that aren’t around anymore any I think you’ll be ok.

If I can help, let me know,
    Bill

Birgit Reizevoort
    Participant

“So set up a home page and remove any links in your navigation that aren’t around anymore any I think you’ll be ok.”

How do I do both things?

Thank you so much for your help!

Bill Robbins

First you’ll want to make a page for your home page. Once you’ve published it, go to Settings > Reading and then choose the page you made from the drop down menu that’s there. There are a few screenshots in the theme instructions that can show you what to select it.

To remove an item from your navigation, go to Appearance > Menu. On the right hand side you’ll see your navigation menu. Each menu item has the item name and arrow at the end of the item. Click on the arrow and you’ll see more options including one to delete it.

Once you’ve deleted the ones you no longer need, save your menu and you’re done.

Birgit Reizevoort
    Participant

Bill, you are the best support guy I have met so far. Thank you lots!

Bill Robbins

Thanks Birgit. Enjoy your weekend!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘404 after creating pages’ is closed to new replies.