Write setting functionality?

Support Area Forums Progress Write setting functionality?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    HDTV-Entertainment
    Participant

I have change the not categorized category to read New Post Article. I assume I could somehow set it up as a write page like one sets up the read blog pages and it would just become a menu item. I think it would automatically include a selection of the categories that it should be posted it.

It could then be reviewed for content before published somehow.

Well, good thought but things don’t seem to work that way.
    How does one set up a new posting option? Or, should it be a URL link to some page?

Bill Robbins

You can add/remove/rearrange/rename categories as you’d like to. After you make those changes, you’ll want to go to the navigation menu builder (Appearance > Menu) and then add the categories directly to your navigation. That will create a new archive for your posts in that category. It’s not a true WordPress page, but it works like one as far as your visitors are concerned.

The page in the reading settings will show all of your posts — it doesn’t care category they are in nor can you change that inside the WordPress dashboard without a plugin or some custom programing.

HDTV-Entertainment
    Participant

Guess I wasn’t clear I am trying to create a new posting subject page which has the fields and maybe a drop down menu to select the category to post it to.

I thought I could do it in a similar manner as to the read page above but that does not seem to work. How does one do this?

Rk

Bill Robbins

Gotcha. You’re looking for the ability for visitors to create a post on your site, right?

Our support forum uses a plugin called bbPress which is created and maintained by some of the same people who lead WordPress development. It used to be free standing software, but now it’s a plugin so you don’t have to have two separate sites to use it.

It’s also possible to allow users to create a post on the front end of your site. To do that will require a plugin. I’ve used Gravity Forms for that. There are probably other ways to do that, but I haven’t researched them out. There’s a quick article at http://gravitywiz.com/use-gravity-forms-to-create-user-submitted-posts/ that shows how to do that with Gravity Forms.

Hope that helps out,
    Bill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Write setting functionality?’ is closed to new replies.