Woo Commerce "Donation" page

Support Area Forums Grassroots Woo Commerce "Donation" page

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
URL to the page in question: http://seniorsrising.com/support/
  • Author
    Carol Jones
    Participant

I believe the Woo Commerce installation created a page called “Donation” which the person I’m building the site for added some content to. I decided to change it to “Support” rather than Donation.

But, even before I did that, there is a link to our “product” which is just the campaign/donation button that shows up below the content. Above that is text “Showing all 1 results” which is as if I did a search for this product. Then to the right of that is a drop down menu allowing us to sort our “products” by a number of ways.

I realize this is coming from woo commerce somewhere. I had to use a plugin to allow give any amount and text in the button under the image says “Enter any amount” which I know comes from that plugin, but no matter what the button link says, it immediately goes to the cart with a $0.00 amount ready to check out, which is bizarre, not what we want.

My question for you, I know this is not your fault, but how can I ditch the stuff on the page (the “showing all 1 results” and the photo and the green button and the drop down sorting menu) that is so weird and comes from a place I don’t know how to get to?

I have a feeling I need to keep the “Support” page which used to be “Donation” page that came from WooCommerce.

Thank you for any enlightenment.

Bill Robbins

Hi Carol,

Good questions. WooCommerce does create some pages that it will need to function. You can name these pages anything you like, but by default they are “shop,” “cart,” and “checkout.”

It looks like you only have one “product” so here’s what I would suggest. Don’t make use of the “shop” page — your current support page publicly. I would instead add your donate product directly to the navigation menu in place of the support one. You could place all the content that’s been added to the support page to your product. That would require one less page for visitors to navigate through before they can actually give. Typically the fewer the pages required, the more donations (or sales) you typically receive.

You can take out the WooCommerce breadcrumbs, product sorting and the number of results too. Add this snippet to the Custom CSS box that’s in the advanced tab of your theme options page:

nav.woocommerce-breadcrumb,
    form.woocommerce-ordering,
    p.woocommerce-result-count {
    	display: none;
    }

That should hide those items for you. Let me know if you have any questions.

Have a great day,
    Bill

Carol Jones
    Participant

Thanks for this. It definitely got rid of those unwanted items. Great.

I also made the menu go directly to the “product” and that is definitely a good idea. However, Now there are two other weirdnesses:

1. Because I also added the “Cart” to the top menu as a submenu for “Support” (as I think was a suggestion you made to someone else in the support forum that I read) if anyone clicks on that menu before donating, the cart is empty and there is a link that says to keep shopping which goes back to the “Support” page that was originally created by WooCommerce which we don’t need now.
    2. The other weirdness is that if I add any text to the donation/product page (that the menu now goes to) then that text is shown with the huge heading “Product Description” which I assume is a Woo thing. Is there a way to get rid of that?

(I hope I put the html tags in this right. If not. Duh. Sorry.)

Carol Jones

Bill Robbins

Hi Carol,

For the cart, I would do this. This plugin — https://wordpress.org/plugins/woocommerce-menu-bar-cart/ — will add a “cart” icon to your navigation menu. One of its options is to have the icon only visible when there is something in the cart. I would use that and take out the existing cart link.

If you really wanted to, you could redirect the “shop” page to your donation product. There are a good many redirect plugins out there you could choose from to do that. https://wordpress.org/plugins/redirection/ is one such plugin.

Bill

Bill Robbins

Sorry I had to split the reply here. My graphics card is going out on my Macbook Pro and I’m trying to hold out until the new models are released to replace it. It’s causing my computer to abruptly turn off at the most inopportune times. So by splitting the reply, I”m not risking losing as much text.

Add this to your Custom CSS also to hide the product description text and tab:

#tab-description h2,
    ul.tabs.wc-tabs {
    	display: none;
    }

Take care,
    Bill

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Woo Commerce "Donation" page’ is closed to new replies.