Video post as Featured post

Support Area Forums Foundation Video post as Featured post

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
URL to the page in question: http://
  • Author
    Lynn Fergusson
    Participant

Good morning Bill

I wanted to post a video on the home page in the Featured posts section and it isn’t displaying (if I add text, that displays, but the video doesn’t). It works fine in the Blog section of the site, but not on the homepage. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Bill Robbins

Hi Lynn,

By default the Featured Post widget will display “the excerpt” of your posts along with a featured image if one is set.

It is possible to add a video to the content of your post, but WordPress excerpt function will filter that out inside of this widget.

There are two ways you could go about getting around that. You can change the widget so that it displays the content instead of the excerpt. It’ll display the full content of your posts up until any read more quick tags that are added.

To keep all of every post from being displayed, add the read more tag into the body of each post at the point where you want it to cut off on the home page. Place it just after the video and it should be visible.

You could also use a plugin called Advanced Excerpt (https://wordpress.org/plugins/advanced-excerpt/) that lets you customize how the excerpt works. Once the plugin is activated, go to Settings in your WordPress dashboard and click on excerpt. There is a checkbox there to remove shortcodes. Undo that and then save the settings. See if that won’t allow the video to be visible.

The video will also need to be near the top of the page’s content to be included in the excerpt since it only shows the first 55 words.

Another option would be to use a featured video widget to place the video in on your home page. It would be outside of the post there, but it could be close by.

Hope that helps out,
    Bill

Bill Robbins

Thanks Lynn…have a great day too 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Video post as Featured post’ is closed to new replies.