Video in Slider

Support Area Forums Responsive Visual Video in Slider

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
URL to the page in question: http://http://www.grassrootschurch.info
  • Author
    Steven Bill
    Participant

Hi Bill
    Just installed this theme and really like it. I have the demo stuff in right now mostly and am slowly migrating to our own content. My question has to do with the slider. We’re developing a welcome video that we’d like very prominent on our website – i.e. front and center. Adding it to the slider at the outset seems to be the best way to do this. However, playing the video is kind of lame because the sidebar shows up. Is there a way – some kind of magic editing – that I could do so that when someone clicks on the video slide, the widgets disappear? Is this crazy dreaming? Or do you have another suggestion?

Also, and I know this is crazy – but any way we could make the slider stop when I play the video but continue on otherwise?

Please advise,
    Steve

Bill Robbins

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your business first of all. Excellent question too. I believe it may be possible for us to use YouTube’s built in javascript to accomplish that. I will have to dig around with their code just a bit to find out how to implement that though. Most likely it’ll be tomorrow afternoon before I can get an answer to you so I didn’t want you to be left wondering if you’re request came though. I’ll post what I come up with back here for you.

Thanks,
    Bill

Bill Robbins

Hello Steve,

I spent some time exploring options here for hiding the sidebar. There is likely a way to have the sidebar hide automatically when a video plays. I haven’t uncovered a reliable way to do that (this is my first time venturing into the YouTube API).

One option that would work for you is this. Add a text widget to your home page sidebar. In that text widget, add this:

<script>
    jQuery('a#hide').click(function(){
    	jQuery('#home-sidebar.nano').hide();
    });
    </script>
    <a id="hide">Hide</a>

and update your widget. That will add in a link labeled hide. When it’s clicked, it will hide your sidebar. It’s not a smooth as having it happen when the video is played, but it does still accomplish the task of removing the sidebar so you have an unobstructed view of the video.

If I can help out, let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Steven Bill
    Participant

Hey Bill – appreciate the prompt response. Thanks for looking into this for me. You’re right – the Hide widget click approach isn’t ideal. And in fact it doesn’t work for me either. Not sure why that might be.

The other key thing would be to have the slideshow stop when the vid is playing. And I don’t know if that’s possible either.

If you find anything else, please let me know. Again, appreciate you looking into this for me. And if you need access to the admin side, let me know.

Thanks,

Steve

Steven Bill
    Participant

Wait, what about an option where the video is just an image and when you click it a lightbox opens with the video in it? Is that doable?

Bill Robbins

The thought process behind allowing video in the slider in the theme is that you don’t use the home page sidebar and if you do need more than one slide, auto play on the slider is turned off so you have to use the arrows to navigate.

One simple option is to make a slide that links to a page that uses the video format like this one in the demo (http://demo.organizedthemes.com/responsive-visual/video/) as it’s made for showing video without anything getting in the way.

If you’d like to go the ligthbox way you can do that too. Here’s how:

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress dashboard and choose Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose home-slideshow.php
    3. Replace everything in that file with this:

(Copy that code directly from the support site and not the notification email).

4. Save your changes.

For this to work, you’ll need to set a featured image for the slide. Also instead of using the embed code you’ll just need to paste the URL to the video in the box for the video embed code.

Hopefully that will give you a couple of options that will work for you. Let me know if you have trouble with either of those.

Thanks,
    Bill

Steven Bill
    Participant

I think this will work. Thanks Bill.

Is there a way to get the “full screen” option in the corner of a YouTube video? Lightbox doesn’t show it by default.

Bill Robbins

I’m glad that looks promising. I just gave it a quick look to check on the full screen button and it looks like it’s appearing for me (see attached screenshot).

If it’s hidden for you still, which browser are you using?

Have a great week,
    Bill

Steven Bill
    Participant

Hmm. strange. I am using Chrome – latest version. I see it works fine with Safari. Oh well, not a huge deal. If I were to set the default size to be larger, tho, where would I adjust that?

Bill Robbins

That seems really odd since Google makes Chrome and owns YouTube. Strange indeed.

The lightbox that is built into the theme is called Lightbox Evolution. It has lots of options built into it. I haven’t tried to set a fixed size for the video lightbox before. According to the documentation, you can add this to the end of the video’s URL to set the size:

&lightbox[width]=610&lightbox[height]=360

where 610 would be the width in pixels and 360 is the height.

Hopefully that will allow you to adjust the size a bit.

Have a great day,
    Bill

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Video in Slider’ is closed to new replies.