Using Summary Listing in Blogs

Support Area Forums Progress Using Summary Listing in Blogs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    HDTV-Entertainment
    Participant

WHen using the summary setting in a blog, is it possible to:

1) have a summary text field that would show instead of the copy from the article so the text can be more descriptive and promotional of the article itself?

2) Have a copy line or button at the bottom of each listing that would read “Read More…” instead of just a non clickable elipse. I understand that the title is clickable for the article to go to the full text but it isn’t as clear as a Read More link would be after each listing.

Bill Robbins

Richard,

You can do that. The theme is set up to show an excerpt of each post. If you’ll edit a post and look right below the main content box you’ll find a spot where you can custom craft an excerpt. The text you place there will appear in the list view for each post. It’s also possible to add in a read more link. Here’s how:

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress control panel and select Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose archive.php
    3. Find this line:

<?php the_excerpt(); ?>

and right below that paste this:

4. Save your changes.

That will add in a read more link below the excerpt. If you have any questions, just let me know.

Bill

HDTV-Entertainment
    Participant

Addeded fine, but right on top of the next Headline, so I tried to add a space and put a horozontal rule under that to separate the articles as follows:

<?php the_excerpt();?>
    “>Read More … <HR><HR />
    <?php the_tags(‘<p class=”post-meta”>Tags: ‘, ‘, ‘, ‘</p>’); ?

That added a line after the Read More but no horizontal line. Close but no banana as they say. For a non coder anyway. Suggestions?

Rick

Bill Robbins

Instead of a HR, you could just add in a border via CSS. That would make it easier to style and position too. If you need help, just leave a link to your blog page and I’ll take a quick look for you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Using Summary Listing in Blogs’ is closed to new replies.