Theme Update

Support Area Forums Forward Theme Update

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
URL to the page in question: http://www.thinknewmexico.org/
  • Author
    Kristina Fisher
    Participant

Hi Bill,

I saw that there is an update to the Forward theme and wanted to ask a couple questions before updating it.

First, you helped me add a bunch of custom CSS to the site, and I don’t want to lose that when I update the theme. Would you recommend that I create a child theme and copy it in there? Or should I just copy it, update the theme, and then paste it back into the “custom css” area in the “advanced” section of the customization area?

Second, I am wondering if there are other things I will need to re-set once the theme updates. Will the colors, fonts, etc., that I’ve selected in the customization area (e.g., navigation, content, buttons) carry over once the theme updates? Or will those need to be entered again in the updated theme?

thanks!
    Kristina

Bill Robbins

Hi Kristina,

Excellent questions there. The only things that change in a theme update are the actual files that make up the theme itself. What has been entered into the customizer should come though just fine. It’s always good to have a backup just in case. There is at least one plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/customizer-export-import/) that can do that for you. The update should leave what you have set in the customizer as is though. That goes for settings like colors and fonts as well as your Custom CSS.

If you’ve modified any of the actual files in the theme, then you’ll want to move those over into a child theme. If you have a lot in the Custom CSS, it would probably be best to move it to a child theme to cut down on repetitive code that the browser loads on every page.

If you have any questions there, let me know,
    Bill

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘Theme Update’ is closed to new replies.