Theme throwing a JS error

Support Area Forums Finesse Theme throwing a JS error

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
URL to the page in question: http://anderson-seo.com
  • Author
    Participant

Bill, I opened up a ticket last week regards to theme not working with Beaver Builder plugin, this was there response after doing some tests and changing themes and so forth,

From BB support–“The issue is most likely caused by your theme especially with you only encountering this problem since updating to WordPress 4.5. In WordPress 4.5 they updated the jQuery version that comes bundled with WordPress and quite a few themes have been encountering issues.

To confirm this I got one of our developers to take a closer look at your issue and he confirmed the issue is caused by your theme throwing a JS error. When diagnosing your issue he pointed out that the issue may be related to the Superfish JS. Therefore, the best course of action is to contact the theme support and ask them to investigate and inform them of the Superfish JS. They will know what we’re referring to.”

Is there anything you can tell me so I can fix this situation as I have your theme and BB plugin combo on multiple sites now & all updates are pending on other sites due to once I update I am not able to edit anything. Please advise

Thanks
    Joe Anderson

Bill Robbins

Hey Joe,

You’re welcome to see if editing the superfish jQuery plugin makes a difference. You’ll need to use either a FTP program to edit the file or a plugin like WP Editor as WordPress’ built in theme editor can’t edit javascript files.

The file you’ll want to edit is in the js folder and is called nav.js. You can replace all of the content in the file with this:

(See support site for full code).

Once the file has been saved, you can clear out your browser’s cache and reload the page and see if it helps. The theme only loads super fish on the front end of the site, so if the editing trouble is inside the WordPress admin, this won’t affect it.

Take care,
    Bill

Participant

Bill,

I somewhat get what you said but your first sentence does not make any sense? I do not have a “superfish jQuery plugin” on my site ?

Bill Robbins

Hey Joe,

Sorry for the confusion. It’s a jQuery plugin. Like WordPress’ functionality can be extended via plugins, the jQuery javascript framework also has plugins. The superfish plugin is part of the theme that runs the drop-down menus.

Bill

Participant

Bill,

Edited the code & that didn’t change anything? Possible that the BB developer is wrong in his analysis of the problem or maybe not, who knows. Anyway thanks for trying & all your support. Looks like I am up shit creek with out a paddle. I am going to post in my SEO groups to see if anyone can quote me a price to somehow configure the BB plugin to Finesse as I have finally found the match I like with the 2 combined & have multiple sites built with both now & can not update WordPress on my clients sites due to this error leaving these sites more vulnerable to hacks, since if I update them I can not do any edits for SEO purposes.
    If that is something your company will quote to combine the theme & Builder together properly please let me know as well.

Thank you for your time,
    Joe Anderson

Bill Robbins

Hi Joe,

You might try rolling back the bundled version of jQuery to earlier version that came bundled with WordPress. I have a quick plugin you can download at https://support.organizedthemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/jquery-update.zip which will do that. It doesn’t require configuring, just install and activate. It’ll let you keep the jQuery that was bundled with WordPress 4.4.x but still upgrade to 4.5. If it’s a javascript error that came after 4.5, then that may well take care of it.

Support is the toughest part of running a WordPress business. It can take lots of time to get to the heart of an issue and most support people have way more issues than time. Sometimes you spot an issue and declare that’s the problem in a situation. There may be something to the issue, but it may not be related to the problem at hand. I’m not saying that’s what has happened here at all, but it is a pretty regular occurrence in the WordPress ecosystem.

If the plugin doesn’t help out, let me know and if you can send over a login so I can take a look at the admin side of things that would help out too.

Bill

Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Bill Robbins
    Bill Robbins

Hey Joe,

Take a look at it again now. I took the hover intent out of the nav.js javascript. It’s a helper that keeps drop-down menus open a bit longer to make them easier to navigate if you accidentally get out of line.

Let me know how it goes,
    Bill

Participant

Bill,

You are not only my favorite web developer but hands down best support in the industry!!
    If you ever need a testimonial just let me know, or if you ever need any SEO info let me know.

Ok so that solved the problem, it even lifted some previous issues I was having with the BB compatibility, the only issue now is I can not embed I-frames. I had this problem with Namecheap before where they were blocking the site from doing embeds but not with Hostgator, so I wasn’t sure if it was from the theme or from hosting on this site? I went ahead and created a ticket with Hostgator but of course there support is slim to none & I am still waiting on response.

Also Bill I have this theme on multiple sites now, could I possibly pay you for this updated version of Finesse theme??

Bill Robbins

Hi Joe,

I really do appreciate that. If your game for a testimony, I’d love to include one. I’m working on assembling some more detailed ones that have a paragraph or so of text that I’ll show next to a screenshot of the site along with a link to the site. If you’re game for that, I would really appreciate it.

You’re welcome to use the site on as many sites as you’d like to. No extra charge there. If you need me to make a copy of it without the hover intent portion of the javascript, let me know and I can email you a copy of the theme without that. Since it’s generally something helpful and rarely causes trouble (this is the first conflict I’ve run into with it in 6 years of using it or so) I’ll keep it in the original theme. I can send you an edited copy to use around. Just post back the email address you want me to send it to and mark the reply as private so no bots pick up on it.

For the embeds, I don’t believe there is anything in the theme that would keep those from working. Some of the embeds do get wrapped in an responsive wrapper so they will change size based on the screen size. That’s the only change I can think of that the theme makes to them. If it something at a server level blocking them, there wouldn’t be much we could do there on this end. Let me know what you turn up.

Bill

Participant
    Bill Robbins
    Participant
    Bill Robbins

Hey Joe,

The copy of the theme at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6160765/Random%20Files/finesse-no-hover-intent.zip is the code from above but with hover intent removed as well.

Do you want me to take a look one of the other sites?

Thanks for sending the testimonial. I hugely appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Bill

Participant
    Bill Robbins

Hey Joe,

There was one other thing that I changed in your site. In the Customizer, there is an advanced panel that has some additional options in it. There are two javascript features you can disable there. One of them is for “page transition animations” which does sometimes not play well with javascript that triggers loading effects on the same page.

I disabled that on your site and the visual editor popped up again. On a hunch, I added back the hover intent and it looks like its still working.

So for your sites with Beaver Builder and Finesse, disable the page transition animations, at least while editing and see if it won’t work for you.

Let me know how it goes,
    Bill

Participant

Bill,

Well all that & it was as simple as flipping a switch, lol. I disabled this on another site like you said and it worked perfect. Thanks again.

Also is there a positive affect for turning it back on after editing?

Thanks
    Joe Anderson

Bill Robbins

Hey Joe,

Sometimes it’s the simple answers that elude us. What that does is make for smother transitions between pages. It’ll keep the elements on the page that are consistent between pages from disappearing as the page refreshes. There’s no harm in leaving it off, but if you turn it back on, it should be a bit smoother.

Take care,
    Bill

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘Theme throwing a JS error’ is closed to new replies.