Staff page width; Blog archive question

Support Area Forums Progress Staff page width; Blog archive question

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Jason Frey
    Participant

Hi, Bill. I just realized that my earlier topic was marked closed, so it probably wasn’t the best place to have asked another question. Sorry about that – just posting as a new topic to make sure you see it. I have two hopefully simple questions for you:

1. I’d like to make the Staff page full-width. How can I update that?

2. This one is ridiculous and obviously user error, but for some reason I cannot figure out how to add a page that link to my blog archive. I thought that could be done by creating a page and using the [archives] shortcode, but that isn’t working. Any thoughts?

Many thanks!

Bill Robbins

Jason,

You can make the staff page full width. Here’s how:

1. Go to the Theme Options page and select the Styling tab.
    2. Scroll down to the Custom CSS box and paste this:

.page-template-page-staff-php .main-content {
      	width: 100%;	
      	-moz-box-sizing: border-box; 
      	-webkit-box-sizing: border-box; 
      	box-sizing: border-box;
      	margin-left: 0;
      	padding-left: 2%;
      	padding-right: 2%;
      }

.page-template-page-staff-php .sidebar {
      	display: none;
      }

3. Update your settings.

That should make the staff page full width for you and also hide the sidebar there.

Adding a blog page is very similar to adding a static home page. You create a page and publish it. Then you go to the Settings section in your WordPress control panel and select Reading. Next to the option to select a static home page, there is a drop-down menu for a “posts” page. This is for your blog. Choose the page you just published from the drop down there and save your settings.

If you run into any trouble, let me know,
    Bill

Jason Frey
    Participant

The staff page change worked like a charm. Thank you!

I’m still having some problems with the posts page. I did some looking and here’s what I see that might shed some light on what I’ve goofed up:

* At the moment, I don’t have anything selected as a static front page. The “Latest Posts” option is selected, but the slideshow/home page displays just fine when I navigate to the URL.
    * I just created a Blog page and assigned it as the page for Posts through the Reading settings, as you outlined above. However, now when I go to that page, it displays the slideshow/home page instead of the posts.
    * I wondered if maybe I needed to also set something as the Front page, so I created another page called “Home” and set that as the Front page through the Reading settings. When I do that, though, the slideshow and other homepage elements aren’t picked up onto that page.

I am clearly doing something *very* silly here. Any idea what it might be?

Bill Robbins

Jason,

Any chance you could send over a link to where you’re working with it so I can take a closer look for you? Not that long ago, we did make a change to the home page and I want to make sure I’m sending you the right instructions.

Thanks,
    Bill

Jason Frey
    Participant

Absolutely, Bill. It is currently at http://staging2.expandinginward.com. Thanks so much for the help!

Bill Robbins

Jason,

Thanks. As I mentioned, we did recently change the theme’s home page just a bit. The version you’re using has a “built-in” home page, that will display as long as the reading settings are set to “display your latest posts” on the front page. That’s a bit counter intuitive so that’s one reason why changed it across all of our themes.

So you could update the theme to the newer version. Just download the theme from the download section here and install it as a new theme. Your settings will carry over so you don’t have to worry about losing those.

Or you can keep your current version. If you do that, here’s how to set up the blog. First create a master category for your posts. Then add every post that you’d like to have in your blog to that category. You can use more than one category if you need to, but make sure to add all posts for your blog to that category.

Then go to the navigation builder and add that category to your menu. That will create a page for your blog so to speak.

Let me know if you have any trouble,
    Bill

Jason Frey
    Participant

I just installed the updated version and after a couple of minor tweaks, everything is working just as I need. Thanks so much for the help, Bill!

Bill Robbins

That’s great to hear. If you need anything else, let me know.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Staff page width; Blog archive question’ is closed to new replies.