social icon menu snafu in the welcome widget

Support Area Forums Kerygma social icon menu snafu in the welcome widget

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
URL to the page in question: http://greggriffin.net
  • Author
    Greg Griffin
    Participant

Hi Bill,

Love this theme! Thanks so much!

I’m attempting to use the social media icon menu in my welcome widget. When I click on one link, it takes me to a non existent sub page on my site, not out to the social media profile. The social media menu icons behave in the footer but not here.

I’d also like the menu items in the welcome box to open in a new tab as well. It performs well in the footer menu location. Please advise.

Thanks!

Bill Robbins

Hi Greg,

Great questions. For the links, make sure to use the full URL to your profile on each network. Use http://www.facebook.com/you instead of just “you” in the URL field. That will make sure that the URL’s point to the right spots.

The actual icons are actually tied to the social menu that’s in the footer. There’s helper that’s part of that menu that hides the text and leaves only the icons. You may be able to do the same with the welcome menu. First change the links since the styling is dependent on the URL that’s entered. Then do this:

1. Go to your theme options page and choose the Advanced tab.
    2. Scroll down to the Custom CSS box and add this:

ul.welcome-menu li a {
      	visibility: hidden;
      }

ul.welcome-menu li a::before {
      	visibility: visible;
      	font: normal normal 18px/1.5 'ElegantIcons';
      }

ul.welcome-menu li a[href*="twitter.com"]::before  {
      	content: '\e094';
      }

ul.welcome-menu li a[href*="plus.google.com"]::before  {
      	content: '\e096';
      }

ul.welcome-menu li a[href*="facebook.com"]::before  {
      	content: '\e093';
      }

3. Update your settings.

Hopefully that’ll work for you. Let me know if it gives you trouble.

Take care,
    Bill

Greg Griffin
    Participant

Hey Bill,

Thanks for your time to this.

My social icons menu in the footer “works” as it should. The menu URLs are as you suggested, and they go out to the various pages.

I tried the custom code, and it “hides” the social media links when I choose that option in the welcome widget. So, the widget shows no sidebar on the left. If I choose the main menu option in the welcome widget, that one works. Without the code in the advanced box, the links show up in the widget, but the links go to a web site subpage that doesn’t exist.

So the snippet didn’t provide the fix. :/

Bill Robbins

Hi Greg,

Looking at the code on the front page, it looks like the links are still going to http://greggriffin.net/twitter/ instead of http://twitter.com/username . It could be the WP Super Cache is still showing an old version to me.

The URLs will need to be correct for the CSS to work here since the browser display the icon based on the URL that’s there. If you still have trouble once those are resolving correctly and the cache is cleared out, let me know. I’ll need the URLs there though to troubleshoot.

Thanks,
    Bill

Greg Griffin
    Participant

Yes, Bill, you are correct. The links are going to greggriffin.net/twitter. That’s my confusion.

In the social icon menu I created (it’s in the footer working correctly) I set up each social media profile as you’ve instructed (i.e., twitter.com/thatgreggriffin).

In the welcome box widget (placed in the home one section on the widgets page), it asks if I’d like to choose a navigation menu to display. My only two choices are main or social icon. When I choose main, it works correctly. I want to use the social icon menu. When I load it, it clicks to greggriffin.net/twitter. When I insert the code snippet you sent earlier, the social icon menu, though selected in the welcome widget, does not display. Does that help explain what I’m seeing?

Bill Robbins

Hi Greg,

I did a bit more digging and I don’t believe you’ll be able to use links outside the site there at all. The widget doesn’t use WordPress navigation system in a traditional way with a “location” for the menu like the header and footer have. As a result, it’s only going to let you work with pages on your site.

Sorry about that. Often features can be adjusted or used for purposes other than the intended ones, but it doesn’t appear that’s going to be possible here.

Take care,
    Bill

Greg Griffin
    Participant

No worries, thanks for looking into it.

Great theme!

Bill Robbins

Glad you’re enjoying it Greg.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘social icon menu snafu in the welcome widget’ is closed to new replies.