Slideshow sizing

Support Area Forums Foundation Slideshow sizing

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
URL to the page in question: http://http://www.aptosumc.org/
  • Author
    Jana Daley
    Participant

Hi Bill –

I’m wondering if there is a way to change the size of my homepage slider. What I’d like to do is have it be the same ratio as a power point slide, so that I don’t have to duplicate all my work. The ratios are only slightly different, but it sure would be nice to only have to build one slide in photoshop and then be able to use it both in Sunday worship and on the website. I’m currently having to build 2 nearly identical slides, and it’s time very consuming.

Thanks,
    Jana

Bill Robbins

Hi Jana,

We should be able to do that. What are the dimensions of your PowerPoint slides?

Let me know and we’ll go from there.

Bill

Jana Daley
    Participant

IF we could size the slider to 760pixels wide by 570pixels tall, that would be awesome.

Bill Robbins

You can do that. Here’s how:

1. In your WordPress dashboard, click on Appearance on your left and then edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose images.php
    3. This line:

add_image_size('slide', 760, 506, true);

sets the size of the images in the slideshow. Change the 506 to 570 and save your changes.

That will affect all uploads made after that change. To change existing images, install the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin. It adds a new screen in the tools section where you can change images that have already been uploaded.

That should let you have the same source image for PowerPoint and the slider.

Let me know if you have any questions,
    Bill

Jana Daley
    Participant

Thanks Bill. That worked great, but after seeing the new look, I realized that made the slides too large and I needed a smaller size. I think there must a fixed width of 760 within the theme that I’m not seeing in the code. When I tried to set my slide size to 667w x 500h, it kept everything at 760w even though the code doesn’t show that.

So I reset everything to the original numbers, 760 x 506, then “updated”, and trashed my newer sized slides so everything would go back to normal. But my main logo slide, which I had uploaded after all of this, is still showing up too large.

Any idea how to get everything back to all one size? Ideally the smaller size, but even the 760×506 would be ok.

Thanks,
    Jana

Bill Robbins

Hi Jana,

Sorry for the confusion there. Image sizes in WordPress are sometimes not straightforward. With the new size, the existing images won’t be made any taller to match the new ones. To do that you will need to resize those outside of WordPress and upload them again. That will keep the slides equal in size and should match your PowerPoint ones.

Try doing that and see how it goes.

Let me know if I can help,
    Bill

Jana Daley
    Participant

Thanks Bill. I was actually trying to undo my changes because the theme seems to be locked at the slides being 760 wide. SO by changing the ratio to match power point it made the slides visually too big on the site. I guess I was having one of those “I swear I did it right, but I didn’t” moments, because when I uploaded my old slide it still showed up at the new larger size. But I just did it again and it worked fine.

I’ll find another work around to eliminate having to build 2 sizes of slides for power point and the website. Theoretically, people are smarter than software, right?

Have a great weekend,
    Jana

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Slideshow sizing’ is closed to new replies.