Slideshow images no longer working

Support Area Forums Forward Slideshow images no longer working

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
URL to the page in question: http://itsbigtime.org
  • Author
    Katie Oakes Stevens
    Participant

Just launched our site (so transferred it from a staging subdomain to the live site). Everything is working great, except the homepage slider images. On the homepage it looks like the image links are broken, on the slide page (where it lists all the slides) the images are showing fine, but then again in the actual editing of the slide, the featured image preview looks like a broken image link (attached a screenshot of this part).

I tried deleting all the slides and images, reuploading the images and recreating the slides, with no luck. Even tried one of your images from the demo site slideshow, and still having the same problem.

Any help would be appreciated – thanks!

Bill Robbins

Hi Katie,

I took a quick look and at the moment I’m seeing one slide with the smiling kids from the demo up. I’ve had a customer or two who have reported that it sometimes takes small amount of time for everything to resolve properly in switching from staging to live. Hopefully that’s the case here.

Let me know how it goes.

Take care,
    Bill

Katie Oakes Stevens
    Participant

Thanks Bill –

It looks like the first one will load now (per your screenshot) but it’s REALLY slow. The image is less than 100kb, so I’m not sure why it’s taking so long.

I just tried uploading another one, and it still shows a broken image link on the homepage.

Bill Robbins

Hi Katie,

I took a look again just now and at least on my end I’m seeing the tents super hero slide. I’ve attached a screenshot of it to make sure that’s what you’re expecting.

If you don’t mind me asking, which company do you use for web hosting? This may be a situation where they can help us out best. WordPress is using the URL that it’s expecting for those image slides as you upload them. The broken image link indicates that the browser is getting a 404 not found error at that URL when you’re trying them.

Once that’s squared away, I would suggest using a caching plugin like WP Super Cache on your site. It can greatly speed up the loading of your pages. I gave your site a quick test at tools.pingdom.com and it came back with a 3.1 second load time for the home page. With caching you could probably cut off a least a second of that time.

Let me know what you turn up,
    Bill

Katie Oakes Stevens
    Participant

So strange – I’m still getting the broken links on the slideshow…

This site uses GoDaddy for hosting. And I’ll definitely install that caching plug-in to see if that helps with load times.

Bill Robbins

Caching won’t help out with broken images but it should make the site quicker. Just make sure to wait until everything else is finished before going with the caching as it is not friendly for sites that are still being worked on.

I would suggest asking GoDaddy for help. Let them know this worked correctly prior to switching to the live URL and see what they can come up with for you.

Katie Oakes Stevens
    Participant

Hi Bill –

Just spent about an hour on the phone with Godaddy and we can’t figure this out. I’ve been able to fix all the other images on the site by reuploading the images and relinking them on the respective pages, but I still can’t get the slideshow images to work in most environments.

Help!

Katie

Bill Robbins

Hi Katie,

Here’s one idea you can try.

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress dashboard and choose Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose functions.php
    3. Scroll down to the bottom and add this:

(See support site directly to copy the code.)

4. Save your changes.

See how that works for you. Let me know if you run into any trouble there.

Thanks,
    Bill

Katie Oakes Stevens
    Participant

MAGIC! All fixed. Thank you Bill!

Bill Robbins

Glad that did the trick Katie 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Slideshow images no longer working’ is closed to new replies.