Separating blog posts by category on to different pages

Support Area Forums Umami Separating blog posts by category on to different pages

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question: http://dc9.de8.myftpupload.com/
  • Author
    Participant

Dear Bill,

I have a client that has 3 separate blogs running on an old Weebly site that I am currently converting to WordPress using Umami. The blogs have unique audiences which is why they were set up separately originally and why he would like to maintain them separately as we move forward.

I have created three categories and as I have been retyping the posts have categorized them accordingly. My understanding is that I do not have to create a new page for each category, but can create a special link to grab those posts. For example: http://dc9.de8.myftpupload.com/blog/category/home-and-school. This should then have all of the posts that are categorized by the home and school category showing only on the Home and School blog page. The only problem: it doesn’t work. All of the posts show on one page and none on the other two.

Can you give me a little nudge in the right direction? Thank you,

Rashel

Bill Robbins

Hi Rashel,

You’re off to the right start there. You have three separate categories. To have them display independently of one another, add each category to your navigation menu. That will create a link to that category’s archive which will list posts only in that category. Plus since WordPress generates that link for you, if you change the slug of the category or the permalink structure, WordPress will update automatically for you.

The page for posts will always show all posts from each category. If you want three separate blogs and don’t need a page that displays everything, you might consider changing the reading settings so that no page is specified for the posts page. That would remove the overall blog page from the site.

If you run into trouble then, let me know.

Take care,
    Bill

Participant

I did it! It took me about 15 minutes but I figured it out.

Thanks for pushing me to do this on my own.

Rashel

Bill Robbins

Glad it’s working now 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Separating blog posts by category on to different pages’ is closed to new replies.