Safari and mobile Safari issues

Support Area Forums Foxy Safari and mobile Safari issues

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
URL to the page in question: http://www.dzakinsdeli.com
  • Author
    Elan Akin
    Participant

Hi Bill,

Thanks to your help over the years I’ve finally launched my updated website using your Foxy theme.

1.) I think it’s looking great so far but the site doesn’t seem to be rendering properly using the Safari browser.

Do you mind taking a look at it for me when you get a moment?

2.) Also, on the mobile responsive site, some pages don’t seem to be long enough so some of the content is being lost.

3.) Is there a trick to get a youtube embed to be responsive too? It looks great on desktop but too big on mobile devices!

4.) Also, during my transferring/launching of my site I somehow broke the compatibility of one of my plugins called “All-in-one Event Calendar.” I ended up deleting the plugin and then reinstalling it (with a db backup) and while the events show up in my dashboard, the actual plugin does not show the content anymore and in fact, even the drop-down menus within the plugin’s settings interface no longer work even after the reinstall. Unfortunately the plugin support just blamed it on the theme but I’m pretty sure you’re not the culprit. Nevertheless I thought I’d ask if you had any insight for me!

Sorry for so many questions but I figured it be better than bugging you for a week straight!
    All the best!

Elan Akin
    http://www.dzakinsdeli.com

Bill Robbins

Hello Elan,

I”m working a bit late tonight and saw your request. Let’s see if we can find answers for you.

1. What kind of trouble are you running into with Safari? I just took a look through your site on my desktop version and didn’t see anything that looked out of place. Could you point out something that you’re seeing?

2. I took a quick stroll through on an iPhone 5S and it looked like all the content on the pages I saw was there. Do you have a specific page where it’s getting cut off?

3. There is a shortcode you can insert before and after your videos in order to make them responsive. Add this before:

[fit]

and this after your video:

[/fit]

and that should make the video responsive for you.

4. The plugin settings sounds like it’s having a bit of a javascript issue. Typically when drop-down menus stop working in the WordPress admin, it’s because of a javascript conflict. You could try reinstalling the plugin (delete the current and then install it again). Sometimes that will clear things up strangely enough.

If that still doesn’t do it, you can switch to one of the default themes and see if it works then. If it does, then it could be something conflicting with the theme. We don’t alter the WordPress backend much at all, but I suppose anything could be possible. If it doesn’t work with one of the defaults, then it’s the plugin.

Let me know about which pages are giving you trouble in Safari and we’ll check on those tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Bill

Elan Akin
    Participant

Wow thanks for such a quick response… I wish I had checked back sooner.

1. I realized that part of the problem was with the redirect from http://www.dzakins.com to http://www.dzakinsdeli.com. I updated my nameservers for the forwarding domain and it resolved the issue with most browsers but unfortunately not with the Safari browser. I included a screenshot of my site on Safari. Although I did figure out how to get the logo to center, the sidebar width has shrunk down causing the widget heading text to overlap a bit. Any ideas?

2. Now I can’t seem to recreate this problem anymore so it must be solved… sorry for the false alarm.

3. Got it! Thank you!!!

4. Still wasn’t able to get the plugin to work. Tried using an original theme, uninstalling, reinstalling, etc. Not quite sure what to do with that one. Any ideas?

As always you’re exceptionally helpful and I appreciate it!

Elan

Elan Akin
    Participant

Oops, here’s the screenshot!

Bill Robbins

One other thing you could try to fix #4 above is to reinstall the WordPress core files. To do that go to the updates section in your dashboard. At the top of that screen there should be a button you can use to reinstall the current version of WordPress. Give that a try.

I’ve several instances of that fixing issues with items like menus in the admin section. Hopefully it will do the trick here for you.

It looks like the issues with Safari were likely related to the DNS changes trickling out. If you run into other trouble, let me know.

Have a great week,
    Bill

Elan Akin
    Participant

Thanks Bill!

I did reinstall WP but unfortunately the plugin is still not functioning (no drop down menus work).

But more concerning to me is the css rendering issue in Safari…. still can’t seem to get the custom css to work (sidebars are supposed to be wider) despite fixing the dns issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks again!!!

Elan

Bill Robbins

Hello Elan,

I took a look through the Custom CSS and did notice a few things that seemed a bit off.

This media query is missing the closing bracket:

@media only screen and (min-width: 1024px) {
    	#content {width: 600px;}

also the last style is incomplete:

.bauhaus, .wptouch-login-wrap, 

You might try fixing those two items and see if it positively impacts your display.

Take care,
    Bill

Elan Akin
    Participant

Bill,

I lost my logo after I reinstalled wp. I reinstalled foxy thinking that would do the trick but no luck. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Elan

Bill Robbins

The spot to upload an image logo is in the General Options tab.

Elan Akin
    Participant

So sorry… I knew that. Just panicked!

Thanks Bill!

Bill Robbins

Anytime.

Elan Akin
    Participant

Fixing the closed bracket issue and deleting the incomplete style corrected the issue!

Thanks again!!!

Bill Robbins

That’s fantastic Elan. Have a great day 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Safari and mobile Safari issues’ is closed to new replies.