Remove 'Continue Reading'?

Support Area Forums Moonrise Remove 'Continue Reading'?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
URL to the page in question: http://superduperburgers.com/#two
  • Author
    Christopher Simmons
    Participant

For some reason the descriptions on this page have suddenly become truncated and a ‘continue reading’ link inserted. I’m not aware of any manual updates being made to the site, so I suspect something got broken or over written by a general theme update. Can you help me remove this and set it back to how it was?

Thanks!

Bill Robbins

Hello Christopher,

Great question. The Read More link appears when WordPress is automatically generating an excerpt or a read more link has been inserted into the content of a post.

There is an option in the theme options page, on the Content tab where you can choose between displaying the full content or just an excerpt on the blog page. You can switch to the full content option and that will remove the read more link.

You can also stick with the excerpt option, but instead of letting WordPress automatically create an excerpt for you, you can manually add an excerpt in the “excerpt” box when you’re writing a post. The text that’s entered here will appear on the blog page without the read more link.

Let me know if you run into any trouble.

Have a great weekend,
    Bill

Christopher Simmons
    Participant

Thanks Bill.

I thought of that also, but when I went in and set it to full content it made no difference.

The descriptions are all excepts, but now they suddenly have “continue reading” added to each of them. It’s really bizarre — and seemingly occurred with no intervention or update on our part.

Any other ideas? I’m stumped!

Bill Robbins

Good Morning Christopher,

Sorry I missed that was happening in the menu area on Saturday. It looks like the default excerpt function in the theme is being overwritten. Do you happen to have any plugins installed, or code snippets in the functions.php file that can change the excerpt function? It is possible to use those to change the read more text and also the length of the excerpt that’s shown. The default length is 55 words.

See if that might be behind the changes and let me know what you turn up.

Thanks,
    Bill

Christopher Simmons
    Participant

I found the culprit! It was the WordPress Knowledgeable Q & A plugin. I don’t recall installing it — I think it might have be automatically added as part of a WP update.

Thanks for the help!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Remove 'Continue Reading'?’ is closed to new replies.