Multiple SubDomains/Multiple Child Themes

Support Area Forums Progress Multiple SubDomains/Multiple Child Themes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question: http://parenting.broken-promises.org
  • Author
    HDTV-Entertainment
    Participant

Bill,

I am creating child themes for my site (s) according to your prior instructions (thread closed).

My site broken-promises.org is running several sub-domains as well and each of these will have submenu templates for public and private member-only areas. That way top menu and side menus can change for members vs non-members and be easily handled via the wp interface and maintain different SEO availability and private pages for members. It is possible that there may be different menus and side menus depending upon which support area is selected in the top menu. That might create an additional child theme, but I’ll face that when the time comes.

For now, the issue is that since I am running multisite, one install of wp is managing all of this. I think that means that I have to create different child themes for each of the domains to be able to manage public vs private areas and therefore menu systems for each.

Does this sound correct, or am I making things too difficult for myself?

Rick

HDTV-Entertainment
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Bill Robbins

The one click child theme is fine. It’s especially helpful for users who aren’t familiar with FTP and will have to set everything up from inside the WordPress admin section and its editor. If possible don’t edit inside the WordPress admin as bad things can happen and lock you out.

Unless you have to hard code your menu, I don’t know of why you couldn’t use one child theme for all the sites. I would start with that and only get more complicated if you have too.

Bill

Bill Robbins

Sidebar widgets and navigation menus are considered content by WordPress and are not shared between sites in a network installation of WordPress. You have a miniature version of WordPress.com there. Each site stands on its own.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Multiple SubDomains/Multiple Child Themes’ is closed to new replies.