Mobile View

Support Area Forums Umami Mobile View

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
URL to the page in question: http://
  • Author
    Raymond Lam
    Participant

How do you deactivate the mobile view? The menu looks very distorted in menu view for some reason, not sure if it’s because I made the sidebar wider.. but anyways. is it possible to deactivate mobile view style on the phone if needed?

Bill Robbins

Hello Raymond,

Most likely we can set your changes to the sidebar so that they only affect larger screen sizes. That way it works as expected on smaller ones.

If you’ll post the URL to your site, I’ll be glad to take a look for you.

Thanks,
    Bill

Raymond Lam
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Raymond Lam
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Bill Robbins

Good Afternoon Raymond,

Thank you for sending over the link. I took a look on my iPhone and the site seemed to appear like I would generally expect it to.

To make sure we’re seeing similar things, I’ve attached a screenshot from my phone to this post for comparison. Let me know how that is similar or different from what you’re running into. If it is a good bit different, also let me know what phone you’re using along with which browser and version too.

Great question about using two languages. The “gold standard” for running WordPress in more than one language at a time is a plugin called WPML (http://wpml.org). It lets you create a translation for all the content on your site that you’d like to; pages, posts, widgets, food menus, navigation menus and so on. If you have any questions about it, let me know.

Also let me know how things go with the mobile view for you.

Thanks,
    Bill

Raymond Lam
    Participant

it looks fine now, I’ve used your other code for the sidebar and it looks perfect on the phone now thanks.

Oh im sorry for the confusion, I meant to say is it possible to make two different menus? such as Chinese cuisine and one for Japanese cuisine so that they are not on the same menu. reason for that is because the Chinese cuisine is so large, I feel it might be too overstacked when combined with the Japanese cuisine.

example would be having the following in the navigation with each being it’s own menu page:

Chinese cuisine
    Sushi

the only problem is when making it that way, it would show the same duplicate content/menu because everything is assigned to the same menu template, I wasn’t sure if there was a way to keep it separate or tagged differently.

similar to menus like from certain restaurants that allow you to click categories like soup/entrees/seafood on the navigation

Bill Robbins

Raymond,

Sorry for my confusion there about the menu; I had language on the brain I think.

You absolutely can do that. The menu page template will show all food that has been added to any menu group, but there are two other ways to display menu groups.

1) You can add a menu group directly to your navigation menu. This will create a “page” (really a dynamic archive) that has only the items in that menu group. To do that, go to the Appearance section in your WordPress dashboard and click on Menus. In the left hand column, look for menu groups. If you don’t see them there, click the screen options tab in the top right hand corner of your screen and make sure the box by menu groups is checked. You should then be able to add your group directly to the navigation menu.

2) You can use a “shortcode” to insert a menu group into any page or post. To use that just enter this where you’d like to have a list of your menu items appear:

[menu group="burgers"]

Just replace burgers with the “slug” of the menu group you’d like to display. You can find the slug by going to the Food section and selecting “Menu Groups.” The slug will be listed next to each group.

The shortcode will be replaced on the front end of your site with a list of all the items in that menu group. You can place text, images and just about anything else above and below the list.

What you could do is create a page for Chinese cuisine and add any menu groups that belong there to that page with shortcodes and then do the same for your Japanese cuisine too.

If you have any questions or trouble, let me know.

Have a great week,
    Bill

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Mobile View’ is closed to new replies.