Menu display

Support Area Forums Forward Menu display

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
URL to the page in question: http://pilgrimradio.com/test
  • Author
    agapeartist
    Participant

Bill,

We have had this happen several times during testing. The dropdowns on the navigation menus sometimes get stuck down. I know it is hard to debug if you can’t recreate the problem. Most recently it happened to me after I resized the menu, navigated to one of the sub-items under Programming and then just ran my mouse back and forth over the navigation menu. I have also attached a PDF showing the issue. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Christine

Attachments:
    Bill Robbins

Hi Christine,

We definitely need them to close. Once upon a time there was another site that had the same trouble. In that instance there was a plugin that was unintentionally keeping the menus open. Have you tried disabling all plugins, clearing out your browser’s cache and then trying again? It sounds like this doesn’t happen every time so that makes debugging more troublesome. Hopefully you get a sense of it working or not working at that point. Let me know what you turn up.

Bill

agapeartist
    Participant

Bill,

I disables all of the plugins and cleared my cache but was still able to recreate the problem. I can always recreate the issue by alternating between resizing the browser window several times and then mousing back and forth over the navigation menu.

Christine

Bill Robbins

Thanks for trying that. Generally that will take care of 80% of troubles or at least point out a conflict that can be resolved. That’s why I generally start troubleshooting there.

The developer of this menu system has stopped updating it. Since his exit someone has posted on Github a fix for this issue. I haven’t tested it out, but it’s worth a shot. You’ll need to use a WordPress plugin like WP Editor that extends the built in WordPress editor to make this change. The built in editor won’t edit javascript files for some reason.

Once you’ve installed the plugin, go to the Editor in the Appearance section and open up the js folder and then the flexnav.js file. Replace everything in the file with this:

(see support site for code)

then save your changes. Next go to the includes folder and edit the custom-js.php file. Change this line:

$('a[href*=#]:not([href=#])').click(function() {

to be like this:

$('a[href*="#"]:not([href="#"])').click(function() {

and save your changes. Clear out your cache and see if that works for you now. I haven’t tested this so my apologies for that.

I haven’t swapped out the menu for a different one because I’m always hesitant to make large code changes to a theme that’s in wide use already. People have made customizations based on the HTML that’s there and if I swap out the menu, the HTML will be different and those customizations will abruptly stop working. Sometimes it still has to be done, but making large changes like that is generally a last resort.

Let me know how it goes,
    Bill

agapeartist
    Participant

I do not see a js folder or any .js files. Only .php files and .css files. The only item I see containing js at all is the content-limit.php (includes/content-limit.php).

Bill Robbins

Sorry I didn’t make that clearer. You’ll need to use a WordPress plugin like WP Editor that extends the built in WordPress editor to make this change. You can also use a FTP program to access them. The built in editor won’t edit javascript files for some reason.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Menu display’ is closed to new replies.