Lost website

Support Area Forums Agency Lost website

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
URL to the page in question: http://www.silentblessings.org
  • Author
    silentblessings.org
    Participant

I didnt think I’d be needing help again so quickly, but in trying to follow some instructions from Jigoshop to remove a tab on the product pages, I have ruined something in the functions.php (I think). It has made it impossible for me to do anything more in WordPress or to even reinstall the Agency Theme. Can you take a look and see what I have done and if it can be fixed easily? Thanks, Bill. — Judy

Bill Robbins

That’s not good Judy. Sometimes when things go wrong in a functions file, a php error will happen which results in the white screen of death.

Thankfully fixing it isn’t too tough. You’ll need to log into your web host’s control panel and find the file browser. Go to the wp-content/themes/agency folder. Once you’re there you should see the functions.php file. Typically you can edit it right in the file browser. Remove the code that you’re working with, save your changes and see if that won’t let you back into your site.

The other option is to use the file browser to rename the agency folder to agency1. That will deactivate the theme and let you log back in. You’ll still need to fix the error before renaming the folder back and activating it again, but you could use the WordPress editor at that point.

Let me know if you have any trouble,
    Bill

silentblessings.org
    Participant

Well, I’ve tried both things and neither works. I think my problem is that since I tried to edit the functions.php file yesterday, I don’t know what it really looks like — I don’t know if I accidentally deleted something that is supposed to be there or not.

I can’t login to Word Press either.

Judy

Bill Robbins

Judy,

If there is any type of error in that file it will completely shut down WordPress. It could be as small as a curly quote instead of a straight quote (code always needs straight quotes). I’ve posted an original version of the functions.php file at https://gist.github.com/billrobbins/b360224a73d3f5e714fb so you can replace the file’s contents with the original and see if that helps.

If worse comes to worse, you can rename the agency theme folder. That will manually deactivate it. Then you can download the current version from our support site and install it.

Let me know if I can help out,
    Bill

silentblessings.org
    Participant

The new functions.php content didn’t work. I must’ve done something else wrong Saturday.

I did as you suggested: renamed the old agency file and downloaded the current version, and put it in the wp-content/themes folder on our site, but it still won’t open. Do I have to do more than just put it there. Do I need to do something special to “install” it or “activate” it?

Bill Robbins

Judy, do you mean you still can’t open WordPress after changing the theme folder name? If that’s the case, then in the wp-content folder, change the name of the plugins directory to plugins1 which will manually deactivate all your plugins too. See if you can login then. If you can go to the plugins section of your dashboard. After than you can change the name of the plugins folder back to plugins.

You should be able to then install the theme like you would any WordPress theme and then reactivate your plugins.

If that doesn’t do the trick, let me know.

Bill

silentblessings.org
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Bill Robbins

Judy,

Can I take a look for you? If you’ll send over the FTP details for your site and your WordPress login, I’ll see if I can get to the bottom of it for you. You can post it here and make the reply private. That might work out best.

Bill

silentblessings.org
    Participant
    Bill Robbins

Hey Judy,

I believe I have your site so you can work on it again. I hope that helps out.

Take care,
    Bill

silentblessings.org
    Participant

I clicked on our home page link before I got your email. It was the most beautiful thing I’ve seen all day. TEE HEE.

Do you know what happened?

Will I need to recreate the changes we had made to the Styling section of the Theme Options page?

Thanks so much for your help, Bill. I’ll try to leave you alone for awhile now.

Bless you, Brother!

Judy

Bill Robbins

I’m glad that I could help out. Sometimes things can just really bad. I ended up changing the wp-content folder’s name just so I could log in. Then I changed both the plugins and the folders. Deactivated all the plugins and themes. Then created a new theme folder and added the Agency theme to it. That seems to have done the trick at last.

Version 2.1 of the theme did include a good bit of changes under the hood. You may or may not need some of those styling changes anymore. You can experiment with them to see what you need.

Have fun,
    Bill

silentblessings.org
    Participant

Good morning, Bill! I have a couple of issues that I need your wisdom on to get back to where I was when all of this started.

(1) Where/how do I change the font attributes for the words on the left of the Donation Bar? I’d like it to be bolder and a little smaller.

(2) I was working on setting up my widgets yesterday, got them all set up, and things worked just fine. But I went to change one page this AM, and I can’t get any of the drop-downs (e.g. page sidebar, home sidebar, etc.) to work, so I can’t change anything.

(3) Since we reinstalled Agency all of the style features in Jigoshop like font colors, button colors, etc. have disappeared and, even though I have the settings to let me have 5 images across and 30 on a page (which it was doing and looked beautiful last week), it seems to be ignoring them. It just puts an image, all the writing in black, and a button — only one across and all 30 items on that page. It appears that it is using a full-width page, but that’s the only thing that remains from last week.

Can you help me again?

Judy

Bill Robbins

Good Morning Judy,

There’s not a built in control for the font-weight of the donation bar title. It’s a heading so it will use the font that’s selected for the heading. To change its weight, add this to the Custom CSS:

#donate-title h2 {
    	font-weight: 700;
    }

You can change the number to alter the weight. Smaller is lighter; larger is heavier.

If drop-down menus stop working in the admin section, it’s almost always a javascript conflict of some type. Try disabling plugins and see it comes back up.

I think I may have made a good there and gotten Jigoshop to load the theme styles instead of its own as opposed to in addition to its own. I used FTP to swap that on your site and that seems to have fixed it. I’ll change it in the theme in case anyone else uses Jigoshop.

Have a good day,
    Bill

silentblessings.org
    Participant
    Bill Robbins

What do you mean by user friendly?

silentblessings.org
    Participant
    Bill Robbins

Is there something in particular you want to change in the mobile layout?

silentblessings.org
    Participant

Hi, Bill. This is Marshall, the Exec Dir of Silent Blessings. We love Organized Themes and the Agency template is great for us for we, being a Deaf ministry, use a lot of video. You have been so kind with all your help.

As for the mobile site, is there a control panel or any adjustments easily available just for the mobile site? If possible I would like to have a different header design for the mobile site, rather than the large logo only. Also, the site takes a long time to load on mobile phone, even when connected to wifi. Is that basically just because our graphics and video links are so large?

I’ve attached a picture of the home screen. The logo does the same thing on each page loaded.

Bill Robbins

Hello Marshall,

The good news is you can do just about anything you’d like to, even if there isn’t a built in option for it. You can swap out your logo on a smaller device for another image if you’d like to.

First go to Media in your WordPress dashboard and choose Add New. Upload the image you’d like to use. Once the upload is complete, click the edit link. On the screen that opens up, look on the right hand side for the file URL. We’ll need that in a minute.

Then go to the Theme Options page and choose the styling tab. At the bottom of this tab, enter this below what’s already in the Custom CSS box:

@media only screen and (max-width: 767px) {

#logo img {
    		display: none;
    	}

#header #logo {
    		height: 80px;
    		top: auto;
    		background-position: center center;
    		background-repeat: no-repeat;
    		background-size: contain;
    		background-image: url(https://yoursite.com/mobile.jpg);
    	}

}

Now replace the http://yoursite.com/mobile.jpg with the URL to the image you just uploaded. Save your changes.

That should replace the logo on smaller devices (smaller than an iPad) with your new image.

For the speed of your site, I would suggest a few things. The images in the slider are a bit big. Most of them are in the 200 to 300kb range. For this size image they can all comfortably be under 100kb. I believe the ones in our demo are around 45kb each. By cutting the amount of data that has to be transferred you’ll speed things up.

The other thing I would do, once everything is finished again, is install the WP Super Cache plugin. This one will greatly speed up your site. It also has a compression option that can compress your content as it’s sent to your visitors.

The videos will always take a bit of time because they are video and they are served from a different domain so the browser has to look it up as well. But the service is worth the extra time in my opinion vs. hosting videos yourself.

If I can help out, just let me know.

Thanks again for your business,
    Bill

silentblessings.org
    Participant

Awesome. Thanks so much, Bill. I’ll give this a try first thing tomorrow!

Thanks for all you do to help people like us do what we do.

Marshall

silentblessings.org
    Participant

By the way, I see the following option in the Jigoshop settings. How should I deal with this.:

Jigoshop Web Optimization System
    Enable Jigoshop Web Optimization System
    This feature improves performance of the jigoshop along with its extenstions by combining and compressing all the css and js files. As a result browser will have to download one compressed java script file and one compressed css file for all jigoshop related functionality. Note: Extensions should use jigoshop_add_style(), jigoshop_add_script() and jigoshop_localize_script() API in order to utilise JWOS functionality.
    Plugin status

Files in cache: 1

Clear cacheThis will remove all files in cache causing the plugin to recreate all data.

Judy

silentblessings.org
    Participant

Have you already done something, ’cause now the Jigoshop layout is back again? Praise the Lord! I’m almost there, huh?

Judy

Bill Robbins

I did update the Jigoshop layout so I’m glad that worked.

I would make sure everything works before trying anything that combines and minifies. That would be one of the last things to try out.

silentblessings.org
    Participant

Thanks for the warning about the web optimization thing.

Things are looking pretty good on the site now, but I still am not able to do anything with the widgets. I’ve done as you suggested and deactivated the plugins to see if the widgets would work then, but they didn’t. So, I’ve reactivated them again. What should I try now?

Judy

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • The topic ‘Lost website’ is closed to new replies.