links to pages from home page

Support Area Forums Live links to pages from home page

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Palermo Deschamps
    Participant

Is there a way to have featured articles posted on the home page from your other pages?

Bill Robbins

Palermo,

Thank you for your business first of all. There are two a couple of different ways to add your recent posts to the front page.

In the demo, we use a widget called the “Organized Themes Featured Post” that you can find in the bottom left of the home page. To add it, go to Appearance section of your WordPress control panel and select widgets. Then drag that widget from the middle area to the sidebar location where you’d like it to be displayed. Here is what it looks like from the demo:

It will display the “featured image” of the most recent post as well as the title and the first part of the content. If you need help adding a featured image, there is a quick screencast in our video section.

The other option is also with a widget. You can use one called “Recent Posts” to display a list of your most recent posts. It will display a title that also serves as the link to that post.

If you have any questions or trouble, just let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Palermo Deschamps
    Participant

Thanks for the help bill, I have another question for you, how do I go about making posts for my pages?

Bill Robbins

Great question. The easiest way is to create a “master” category for the posts you’d like to have as part of your blog. Then just add that category to your navigation. That will create a page to house your posts. You can add your posts to more than one category too if you need to.

If you have any trouble/questions, just let me know,
    Bill

Palermo Deschamps
    Participant

Got it, but my posts are showing in full, is there a way to just show a bit of it and then a read more button and the end of it on my categories pages?

Bill Robbins

You can do that. Here’s how:

1. Go to the appearance section of your WordPress control panel and select edit to open up the theme editor.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose archive.php
    3. Look for this spot:

<?php the_content(__('[Read more]'));?>

4. Replace that with this:

5. Save your changes.

That will replace the full post copy with the excerpt. You can custom make an excerpt by clicking “Screen Options” in the top right hand corner when writing a post and checking the box next to Excerpt. That will add a small box just below the main content area where you can hand craft one. If you leave it blank, WordPress will display the first 55 words.

If you have any trouble, let me know,
    Bill

Palermo Deschamps
    Participant

It worked but theres no read more button it just shows the excerpt and my featured image is not showing as well , I also want to add social media icons to the excerpts, any advice?

Bill Robbins

Here’s how to add in the read more link and the sharing too.

1. Go to the Plugins section of your WordPress control panel and select “Add New.”
    2. Search for one called “Jetpack” and install it.
    3. This will add a new menu section on your left, right below dashboard.
    4. Click on Jetpack and activate “Sharing.”
    5. You can find the sharing settings by going to “Settings” and selecting “Sharing”
    6. To add sharing buttons, drag the services you’d like to include to the area below and they will be added. You can choose where the buttons are visible too.
    7. Next go to the Appearance section and select edit to open up the theme editor again.
    8. From the list of files on your right, choose archive.php. Find the spot you edited earlier and paste this right below it:

9. Save your changes.

That will add in the read more link as well as the sharing buttons (that works with the sharing part of Jetpack).

If you want to remove the theme’s built in sharing buttons so everything matches, here’s how to do that:

1. In the theme editor, select single.php and look for this spot:

2. Delete it and save your changes.

If you run into any trouble, let me know.

Palermo Deschamps
    Participant

Thanks Bill its all worked out, But I would still like it if my feature image would show on my posts when their in excerpt mode, how do I do that?

Bill Robbins

No problem. I updated the code above so it will add in the featured image too. Just replace the code you added earlier with this:

and that will add in the featured image (post thumbnail) too.

Palermo Deschamps
    Participant

when I share a post it does not show the tumbnail to that post, it only gives me an option of tumbnails of my featured posts on my home page, how can I fix this so when I share a post that its featured image is the one used as its tumbnail? And thanks agian for all your help with this

Bill Robbins

I’m not certain of a simple way to add that to the archive view. Facebook normally handles that with a tag that’s placed inside the site’s header. That’s easy to do on a single post, but on an archive page (like the one we’ve been working on), you have 10 featured images so Facebook’s preferred method won’t work there.

One option you might consider trying is the WordPress SEO by Yoast plugin. In addition to being a great SEO plugin, it also adds some of the Facebook tags to your site. If you add the plugin, you can find those options by clicking on the social page under SEO the plugin adds.

If you have any questions, let me know,
    Bill

Aaron LaMoncia
    Participant

Hi Bill,

I was trying to remove the built-in “Share This” but apparently messed up something else as well. See example here. http://www.lifepedaled.com/now-you-can-inspire/

First, how do I revert back to the original single.php file and then how to I accurately removed the “Share This” from the theme.

-Aaron

Bill Robbins

Aaron,

You can roll back to the original single.php file. Here’s the original content. Just replace everything in the single.php file with this:

You might also consider looking at the new version of the theme. It’s had quite an update and is now responsive too so it will fit mobile devices nicely too.

If I can help, just let me know,
    Bill

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘links to pages from home page’ is closed to new replies.