IE navigation bar issues

Support Area Forums Live IE navigation bar issues

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Shannon Vasilinda
    Participant

Hello

I made some changes to the navigation bar. Things look fine in Chrome, Safari and Opera but IE has some issues with it. Any advice on what to do to fix it?
    Most of the people that will be looking at this probably still use IE.

http://www.lshsband.com/wordpress

Thanks

Bill Robbins

Shannon,

Don’t you just love IE 7? Here’s what I’d suggest trying (I don’t have a way to test this so I’m not certain this is the fix).

Find this spot in your style.css file:

#navigation {
    	float: left;
    	position: relative;
    	z-index: 100;
    	margin-top: 1px;
    	background: #BDBDBD;
    	border: solid 2px;
    }

and change it to this:

#navigation {
    	clear: both;
    	float: left;
    	position: relative;
    	z-index: 100;
    	margin-top: 1px;
    	background: #BDBDBD;
    	border: solid 2px;
    }

That will add a “clear” that should clear the floats of the items above the navigation in the header which hopefully will cause the menu to pop into place.

Let me know if you run into any trouble,
    Bill

Shannon Vasilinda
    Participant

Thanks Bill – that did the trick.
    I refrained from putting some nasty adjectives in front of IE in my original post. I don’t understand why people still want to use it. 🙂 Change is not a welcome thing for many. sigh
    Someone in one of my classes last year was telling me about a website that wouldn’t open for IE users. It suggested they download another browser if they wanted to view their website.
    I wish I was brave enough….

Thanks again

Shannon

Shannon Vasilinda
    Participant

So I ended up redoing the site a bit and now the menu is stacked in 2 rows in IE. the clear:both line made it visible but not all on one line. normal in all other browsers. Suggestions.

Bill Robbins

You could try decreasing either the font size, the padding or the margins around your menu items. That could give you extra room which might keep it from wrapping in Internet Explorer. Browsers render fonts differently from one another and it’s possible that alone is causing it to be on two lines in IE.

You might also consider switching to the new version of Live we released a couple of weeks ago. It has quite a few improvements and also is responsive so it will work nicely across mobile devices.

Let me know if I can help,
    Bill

Shannon Vasilinda
    Participant

I did change the font size already but that didn’t help. I will try the padding and margins next. As to the new version of Live, can we update it without losing all our customizations? Being new to WP, I didn’t make a Child Theme at the beginning as I didn’t know what that was.

Bill Robbins

You’re right. The customizations wouldn’t be moved over to the new version. It would be like installing a new theme.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘IE navigation bar issues’ is closed to new replies.