How to display posts (not press releases) on a page

Support Area Forums Live How to display posts (not press releases) on a page

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Deborah Gabriel
    Participant

I have installed the Live Theme on an existing website that so there are quite a few (over 100 posts) that I would like to display on a page with pagination called ‘News’ (separate from the press releases).

I have made use of the category widget in the sidebar but would like to display them on a page with the title, author, date, thumbnail to the left and excerpt?

How can I do that?

Thanks

Bill Robbins

Deborah,

WordPress has two, built-in ways to display posts with pagination like that. The first is to create a page for all your posts from all categories. This is a traditional blog works. Once you’ve published your page, go to the Settings section and select Reading. Right next to where you assign a static front page you can also set a posts page. Choose your page from the drop down menu there and that will create a page that lists all your posts from all categories.

The other option is to add a category directly to your navigation menu. That will display posts just from that category. You can find your categories listed in the navigation builder (Appearance > Menus) usually just below the pages section.

Both methods will paginate too.

Let me know if you need any help,
    Bill

Deborah Gabriel
    Participant

Thanks Bill, that’s really useful. Last question and I guess another alternative is to have an archive page (there is too much stuff to display as widget in the sidebar).

How would I go about creating an archive Page of posts by month and year?

Thanks
    Deborah

Bill Robbins

You’ll probably want to use a plugin to set that up. You might try the Smart Archives Reloaded plugin. I haven’t used it personally, but it’s from a well respected developer so I would imagine it’s well made. It appears to offer some flexibility in how the archives are displayed so it sounds like a good place to start.

Have fun creating!

Deborah Gabriel
    Participant

You’ve come up trumps again! The Smart Archives Reloaded works like a dream.

Thanks again!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘How to display posts (not press releases) on a page’ is closed to new replies.