Home page blog

Support Area Forums Progress Home page blog

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Dan Starr
    Participant

Bill,
    Is it possible to have the blog start on the home page like on the Foundation theme?

Dan

Bill Robbins

Dan,

You could do that with a bit of editing. Here’s how:

1) Go to the appearance section and select edit to open up the theme editor.
    2) From the list of files on your right, choose home.php
    3) Look for this spot:

<?php get_footer(); ?>

4) Paste this right above that:

5) Save your changes.

That should add your 3 most recent posts to your home page below the widget area. If you’d like to change the number of posts visible look for this spot:

showposts=3

and change the 3 to the number of posts you’d like to have displayed there.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Dan Starr
    Participant

Thanks Bill, that almost gets me to what I’m trying to do, I would like a right sidebar next to the posts for widgets and after the last post I would like to be able to link to page 2, 3 etc., so that my home page is the start of my blog rather than having to put a navigation link to the blog. Does that make since and if so is it doable?

Thanks again,
    Dan

Bill Robbins

Dan,

That can be done. This would probably be the easiest way to go about it. Edit the home.php file again and this time delete what you inserted earlier and also this:

<aside class="home-widgets clearfix">
    	<?php dynamic_sidebar( 'sidebar-home' ); ?>
    	<div class="clear"></div>

In its place, paste this:

then save your changes. That will turn the original sidebar into one that runs along the side of the posts like it does on the inside page. The change you’ll need to make is to the link at the bottom:

<a href="http://yoursite.com/page/2/">More From Our Blog</a>

Change the http://yoursite.com/page/2/ to the URL of the second page in your blog. You can also change the More From Our Blog to the text you’d like to have in your link. Save your changes and you should now display 10 posts with a sidebar as well as a link to the next page.

Let me know if you run into any other trouble.

Dan Starr
    Participant

Can you please look @ my blog. The blog post is not linking to anything, date and author not showing up.

blog.danstarrphotography.com

Thank you again

Bill Robbins

Sorry about that. The code I based that on, didn’t need a link in the title, but you definitely do on your home page.

I updated the code above to include it. You can use that in place of what you used earlier to add the links.

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Home page blog’ is closed to new replies.