Hiding Site Title

Support Area Forums Selfie Hiding Site Title

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    elwynvds
    Participant

Hi

Looking for some custom CSS to hide the site title from displaying on static front page using home blocks.

Also, how to manipulate starting position of text using h3 tag in home block content.

Thanks.

EDIT: Formatting

Bill Robbins

Good Morning,

Thank you for your business first of all. You can hide the logo from the front page of the site. Here’s how to do that:

1. Go to the Theme Options page and select the Advanced tab.
    2. Scroll down to the Custom CSS box and paste this:

.home #logo {
      	display: none;
      }

3. Update your settings.

The starting position of the content in the home blocks will try to be in the center of the home block, both vertically and horizontally. You can add this snippet to the Custom CSS box we just used to align the text to the top of the home block:

.window .content-area {
         vertical-align: top;
         padding-top: 30px;
    }

or you could use this to align it to the bottom:

.window .content-area {
         vertical-align: bottom;
         padding-bottom: 30px;
    }

That will change all of the home blocks to follow that alignment. If you need to change only one, you can do that. Each home block has a unique ID that we can use as a styling hook. To get the ID, edit your home block and look in the navigation bar for the URL. It’ll look something like http://demo.organizedthemes.com/selfie/wp-admin/post.php?post=9&action=edit
    the post=9 lets us know the ID is 9.

We can then use that like this:

section#block-9.window .content-area {
    }

to target only that home block.

If you have any questions or trouble, just let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

elwynvds
    Participant

Hi Bill

Thanks for the prompt reply. The code, however, seems to have no effect.

e.g. the site title (text logo) still shows, and the home blocks text starting position does not shift.
    The weird thing about the site title is that when I start out with the base theme and setup a home block, by default, the site title does not display (or is it just in my head?!?). As soon as I add some CSS, then it suddenly displays. Removing the CSS does not seem to undo the title displaying … so I either have to remove the site title from settings (undesirable) or use a transparent image logo … I’ve opted for the latter.

I’ve gotten around the text start position by changing the font … seems to work OK for now.

Thanks.
    Elwyn

Bill Robbins

Hello Elwyn,

Sorry that didn’t do the trick for you. I’d be glad to take a look for you. Could you send over a link to where you’re working with the theme?

Thanks,
    Bill

elwynvds
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Bill Robbins

Elwyn,

Thanks for sending over the link. Great looking illustrations by the way.

The logo won’t show up with a fresh installation of the theme until the theme options are saved. Once that’s done the first time, it will choose a text or image logo and will cause WordPress to display one. Up until that time, one isn’t selected and none will be displayed.

Any chance you could add the CSS snippets to your Custom CSS along with an image or text logo (other than the blank one). That way I can see what’s causing the trouble there.

I tried adding this to the CSS of your page:

.window .content-area {
    }

which caused the home block to look like the attached screenshot. If you’ll let me know which one (or all of them) you’d like to change and how, I can give more specific instructions.

Thanks,
    Bill

elwynvds
    Participant

Hi Bill

Thanks for that. It seems the text is behaving as expected now … weird.

I have changed the site title to text logo and added the css code to hide the title.
    Please check when you have a moment.

Thanks.
    Elwyn

Bill Robbins

Glad to hear the text is cooperating now for you. Let’s broaden the snippet for the logo and see if this gets it for you:

.home #text-logo,
    .home #logo {
    }

See if that won’t hide it for you on the home page. If you have trouble, let me know.

Bill

elwynvds
    Participant

Hi Bill

I’ve extended the logo css as per the snippet, but it still does not want to co-operate.
    I’m happy to continue using the blank image logo.

Thank-you so much for your prompt and professional assistance.

Thanks,
    Elwyn

Bill Robbins

Elwyn,

Let’s try one other way of tackling this. Go to the Appearance section and select Edit. From the list of files on your right, choose style.css. Scroll down to the bottom and paste this:

.home #text-logo,
    .home #logo {
    }

Save your changes. Leave that in the Custom CSS box too. See if that won’t take care of it at long last. It’s really strange, but hopefully this will seal the deal.

elwynvds
    Participant

Hi Bill

Apologies for the delay. The last set of changes seems to have done the trick.

Your prompt service is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Elwyn

Bill Robbins

Fantastic. Have a great night (or I guess for your part of the world) and let me know if you need anything else.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Hiding Site Title’ is closed to new replies.