Help – Dont know what happend to my home page!

Support Area Forums Epic Help – Dont know what happend to my home page!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
URL to the page in question: http://78b.1eb.myftpupload.com/
  • Author
    Jerry Chavez
    Participant

I’m having a panic attack. I am new to WP, had to stop working the site due to another project for a couple of weeks, I return today to learn how to use Dashboard and maintain, and shortly there after I notice home appears to be gone!

Refer to before and after screenshots. It looks like Home Page got erased some how and its displaying blog page, but I don’t recall pressing an option to erase/trash other than a test post on the main working area, nor any kind of warning. Please don’t tell me I lost all my work!

Jerry Chavez
    Participant

Okay, I manage to restore the page that I unintentionally deleted. But I fear the problem is even worse!

In the Dashboard, I when to the Pages > Home and wrote “asdfasdfsafd” to test. looked at the home page saw nothing. so I went back and deleted it. I restored the home page in Admin, I see the “asdfasdfsafd” in Page > Home, so does the mean I overwrote all Home stuff? Please help!

Jerry Chavez
    Participant

Okay, everything appears to be back to normal, but I am not sure I know what I did to fix it. Thanks anyways.

Bill Robbins

Hey Jerry,

WordPress does have a trash that deleted pages (or posts) goes into. You can find any recently deleted pages by going to Pages and then clicking the trash link near the top.

If you erased the content on a page and replaced it instead of deleting it, you may be able to find it in a saved revision. The revisions that are available are typically listed below the main content box when editing a page. If you don’t see them, click on the screen options tab in the top right corner when editing a page and make sure the box next to revisions is checked.

The content on the home page is made up of widgets and not the content that’s written on the home page by going to Pages in your admin and editing the home page.

If you delete the home page, WordPress will return to its default of showing the blog on the front page.

To add a home page, go to pages in your dashboard and create a new page. Look in the right hand column for a drop down labeled templates and choose home. Then publish your page.

Next go to Settings in your dashboard and choose Reading. At the top of this screen, choose the option to show a static page on your front page. Then select the page you just created from the drop down for the front page. Update your settings after that.

The content for the home page will come from widgets. You can add those by going to Appearance in your dashboard and selecting Widgets.

I don’t typically answer support on Sundays. I understand you’re panicking so I’m replying now, but please do understand from my perspective the need to have a day off.

Take care,
    Bill

Jerry Chavez
    Participant

You are 100% correct, please accept my apologies, during my haste I did not even realize what day it was at the time. I’m sure you’ve been there too more than once.

Nevertheless, I appreciate you getting back to me under the circumstances.

I was able to successfully restore Home page, but for some explicable reason its not the default page upon accessing website unless I click Home.

Also, I was not able to find licensing terms on your website, would like to use the same Epic template on separate yet related website. What is your policy, can I use a copy of the one I already purchased, or do I need to purchase the same template again, if so is there any kind of discounts for repeat customers?

Thanks again for your exceptional service

Bill Robbins

Good Morning Jerry,

Always happy to help out and I really hate to leave someone in a panic overnight especially.

Glad you found your home page. It looks like it needs to be set as the “front page” now. Go to settings in your WordPress dashboard and choose Reading. The default for WordPress is your latest post, but you’ll want to pick a static page. Then choose your home page from the top drop down menu. If you plan on having a blog, choose it’s page in the second drop-down menu. Then update your settings.

See if that won’t bring up your home page like it needs to be.

Have a great week,
    Bill

Jerry Chavez
    Participant

Could not find “Reading” in Dashboard.

Bill Robbins

It’s in Settings. Go to Settings then Reading.

Jerry Chavez
    Participant

Never mind, I figured out what you meant by Reading.

Jerry Chavez
    Participant

Thanks!!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Help – Dont know what happend to my home page!’ is closed to new replies.