Gift Aid declarations for UK donors

Support Area Forums Forward Gift Aid declarations for UK donors

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
URL to the page in question: http://musicaction.org/?page_id=355
  • Author
    Anastasia Connor
    Participant

Hi Forward people!

Is there anyone on here who’s working on a UK charity site? I need to integrate a Gift Aid declaration (it’s a tick box stating the donor is UK tax payer.) into the donation form. What’s the best way of doing it?

Thank you!

Anastasia x

Participant

I do and I was just about to ask the same thing!

Bill Robbins

I haven’t tried out this plugin before, but the WooCommerce Checkout Manager (https://wordpress.org/plugins/woocommerce-checkout-manager/) might be just what you needs. It claims to allow you to customize the checkout form allowing you to add new items. Plus it’s free.

There are some paid plugins that also do the same thing, but if this works it’ll save you $49 over Woo’s extension (http://www.woothemes.com/products/woocommerce-checkout-field-editor/).

Bill

Anastasia Connor
    Participant

Thanks guys.

I’ve added the free plugin but it doesn’t appear to support a text box as well as a click box. It is a legal requirement that we display this text:

Please treat as Gift Aid donations all qualifying gifts of money made today, in the past 4 years and in the future.

I confirm I have paid or will pay an amount of UK Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax for each tax year that is at least equal to the amount of tax that all the charities or community amateur sports clubs that I donate to will reclaim on my gifts for that tax year. I understand that other taxes such as VAT and Council Tax do not qualify. I understand the charity will reclaim 25p of tax on every £1 that I have given.

Then we need a click option. Essentially it should be on the main donation page before they proceed to click on donate.

Sam, have you had much luck with Gift Aid so far? I suspect we may need to buy a plugin there.

Thanks again,

Ax

Participant

While I’ve not had a play with the plugin yet, I was going to try and do it in one of two ways.

As a product variation would be my first choice. Though I’m not sure how that works with a name your own price plugin.

The other was to use the plugin named above and manually code in the text if I had too.

For our benefit, the former would be best as we could see on each invoice if the box was ticked.

As for the text we have to display. I’m pretty sure we don’t have to display all that. You could have “Claim Gift Aid – I am a UK Tax Payer*” and then have the rest in a small print. At least thats what sites like JustGiving and VirginMoney etc used to do.

What I want to know is, how much extra work is it for us to reclaim giftaid lol and do we need to supply a receipt to the buyer.

Bill Robbins

There is another plugin you might try to help with customizing the checkout. It’s called Poor Guys Swiss Knife (https://wordpress.org/plugins/woocommerce-poor-guys-swiss-knife/). It allows you to customize many things inside WooCommerce…I had just forgotten that it could also work on the checkout form.

You can remove the other one and give this a shot and see if it can add in all the fields you need.

Anastasia Connor
    Participant

Sam,

Claiming GA is supposed to be quite easy. As far as I recall you can do it quarterly. I never worked in Donor stewardship/donation processing/database but I did manage Annual Fund (basically direct marketing) fundraising for a number of universities.

Cheers,

Ax

Participant

I only ask as I know that both myself and @anastasia were working on sites which seem to have somethings in common and hence were coming up with similar issues ie with subscriptions and gift aid. I just went to that topic to reply and noticed it was closed.

Anyways I justed to say that I think I’ve found a neat way to do the declaration which seems to work a treat using product attributes and variations. Ie you create it so that it has no monetary value and list the text in the attributes section. That way it shows up on the product page as an variation. When they select it, it displays the full text in the basket and that way the declaration is on the email/invoice.

PS – Ignore the actual declaration text lol.

Attachments:
    Bill Robbins

Good Morning Sam,

I’ll merge this topic with the other one and give it a bump to let him know about it.

Thanks,
    Bill

Bill Robbins

Bumping this topic to let everyone know about a new comment.

Participant

Thanks Bill!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Gift Aid declarations for UK donors’ is closed to new replies.