General WooCommerce Question

Support Area Forums Responsive Visual General WooCommerce Question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Shari Sullivan
    Participant

Hi Bill,

This may be a little outside the scope of your support, but you’ve been so generous with information I thought I’d take a stab at it.

I have a photographer client who wants to sell items. While the Elite theme is BEAUTIFUL, it’s not to her liking. I think Responsive Visual will suit her, but I’d need to add WooCommerce functionality to the theme. As I start to play with it, I get a warning from WooCommerce about the theme “Your theme does not declare WooCommerce support” I just hoped that before I spend time figuring how to work these two together, you might give me the benefit of your WooCommerce knowledge and let me know whether you see big red flags in my plan (ie if there is something inherent in this combination that will have me running for the hills)

I certainly don’t expect any guarantees here. Just hoping for a bit of insight on risk of dropping into a time-management sink hole 🙂

Thanks,
    Shari

Bill Robbins

Shari,

Great question. The warning that Woocommerce pulls up is quite scary looking, but it really only indicates that the theme you’re using doesn’t have a small tag that developers can add to a theme saying it supports Woocommerce. Outside of turning off that notice, the tag serves no purpose (though it may give some more theme sales at Woo).

I don’t believe I’ve tried out Woocommerce with the theme. I would imagine it would work with one of the more typical layouts like the standard page.

Most of the “major” issues you’ll run into with Woocommerce or other large, content-driven plugins is they may be unaware of how the theme is structured HTML wise.

Typically you can add a small helper function to the theme which will insert any missing HTML above and below the Woocommerce generated elements. That typically is all that’s needed.

You might also consider looking at the Easy Digital Downloads if your friend doesn’t need to ship pictures. It’s a much more flexible shopping cart than Woocommerce. You can add the purchase buttons to any page/post via a shortcode.

If I can help out, let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Shari Sullivan
    Participant

Thanks Bill. That’s very helpful. I’ll look into Easy Digital Downloads, as she is interested in offering e-books.

Much appreciated, as always!

Bill Robbins

Anytime Shari. Have fun creating.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘General WooCommerce Question’ is closed to new replies.