Gallery question

Support Area Forums Responsive Visual Gallery question

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
URL to the page in question: idocakes.ca
  • Author
    Participant

I’m trying to set up a photo gallery so that I can show my cakes and sugar work. I want a “carousel” look if possible like in the RV theme. I cannot seem to be able to do that. I’m doing okay with this I think (it’s my first stab at this kind of thing) but boy that gallery thing has me stumped.

My old website is eatdessertfirst.com if you need to see what I’m looking to do.

Bill Robbins

Lorrie,

Thank you for your business first of all. Sorry for the gallery trouble. Let’s see if we can get it take care of for you. Here’s what you’ll want to do:

1. Edit the page where you’d like to have the gallery appear.
    2. Upload the images you’d like to have in the gallery slideshow. You do not need to insert the images into the content of the page, but you do have to upload them while editing the page. That causes WordPress to “attach” them to the page.
    3. Look in the right hand column for the box labeled Format.
    4. Choose Gallery from that box.
    5. Update your page.

That should take care of it. If you run into trouble, let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Participant

I’m going to try that now Bill. I thought I had already done that but who knows? LOL Thanks, Lorrie

Participant

Could you look at what I’ve published Bill? It’s under Gallery, Sugar. It’s just two pictures. Shouldn’t I be able to make them *slide*?

Bill Robbins

Hey Lorrie,

I think you’re close to being there. Edit the page and look in the right hand column for the template drop-down menu. Choose the default from that menu and make sure the gallery format is selected. Then update your pages.

See if that won’t bring up your slideshow.

If you run into trouble, let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Participant

gallery does not seem to be an option. I have default, custom, home page,full width, podcast and staff.

I have chosen Gallery as the format. Sorry to be a pain.

Bill Robbins

Sorry about that. The gallery is the format that you want. The page template you want is the default. I’ve attached a screenshot from the gallery page in the demo as an example. See if that combination won’t take care of it for you.

Let me know if you have any trouble,
    Bill

Participant

I think I might have what I want. Thank you.

Bill Robbins

Fantastic. If you need anything else, just let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Participant

Okay, I got a couple of gallery type pages going. I am having trouble adding media to them. I seem to be able to only view two of the pictures that I have included. Is there a setting I need to change for numbers?

Also, when I view my site from my iphone and ipad I cannot see the drop down menus when I hover/click on the main menu items. Is there a better way to set this up?

I’m quite enjoying this. You guys make it easy. 🙂

Bill Robbins

Lorrie,

Glad to hear you were able to get a few pages going. Sorry for the trouble adding media to them though. Unfortunately there’s only one way to add the images to the slideshow. They have to be uploaded while your editing that page. They don’t have to be inserted into the content, but they do have to be uploaded. If an image is already in the Media Library, it’ll have to be uploaded again in order to add it to the slideshow.

For your mobile menu, there is a plugin I would suggest using called TinyNav. There’s a quick post at https://support.organizedthemes.com/forums/topic/mobile-navigation-menu/ that can show you how to use it too. If you have any questions, just let me know.

Thanks again,
    Bill

Participant

Okay, I’ve installed tiny nav and read the post you linked to. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to put in the area you have this in #menu-main-menu

Bill Robbins

Try adding this to that spot:

#menu-menu-one

and see if that won’t take care of it for you.

Participant

thanks, on my iphone in portrait I get my name and a drop down menu. in landscape I get the same now but at one point I got the menu string but no drop down.

Participant

It’s working on my ipad just fine. Should I just give up on the phone?

Participant

actually there are no menus except my name on my phone or my husband’s android phone. So I guess really no way to navigate the site.

Bill Robbins

Hey Lorrie,

I believe we can tweak this a bit more. Your name is displaying on your phone because it’s the last menu item in the list. If you’ll add a menu item for your home page, it will default to that. It’s set to display the current page, but on the home page it’s not listed so it’s showing the last one.

You can change the width at which the menus are changed. I would probably go with the 768 option so you’ll cover tablets in portrait mode too.

It’s also possible to style the menu a bit so it’s not just a generic select box. If you’d like to try that, here’s how:

1. Go to the Theme Options page and select the Styling tab.
    2. Scroll down to the Custom CSS box and paste this:

select.tinynav {
      	border: none;
      	background-color: #36abef;
      	color: #fff;
      	border-radius: 0;
      	-webkit-appearance: none;
      	-webkit-background-clip: padding-box;
      	padding: 5px 15px;
      	margin-top: -1px;
      	margin-bottom: -1px;
      	font-size: 16px;
      }

3. Update your settings.

If I can help at all, just let me know,
    Bill

Participant

I haven’t had a chance to try this. I will this week. Thank you.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘Gallery question’ is closed to new replies.