Front page slideshow / post [audio] shortcode issues

Support Area Forums Live Front page slideshow / post [audio] shortcode issues

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Loren Small
    Participant

Hi! We’ve been using Live for quite a while on our site http://www.moviesyoushouldlove.com, and it has been working great. I’ve just updated to the newest version (we were previously on 1.4.2, and are now on 3.0.2) and have a couple of small issues I can’t seem to track down.

1. Front page slider – slide limit
    On the front page slider, is there a way to limit the amount of slides that display? We will have a lot of slides available, and want only 5 up at a time. Right now it seems to add any that are active. Advanced scheduling will only work for us if the older slides disappear when a new one launches, and we would prefer not to have to manually switch old slides into draft mode.

2. Front page slider – descending order
    Along with this, is there a way to set the default to show the slides in order of newest to oldest? Your video tutorial says it should default to this type of display, however it is instead display oldest to newest.

3. Front page slider – repositioning buttons/text
    Is there a way to reposition the next/back buttons from the right hand side of the screen? This interferes with our current banner design from the older version of the site. Additionally, can we adjust the size/positioning of the banner text that gets placed over the slider? We would like to use it, however it once again clashes against over a year of already created slider images.

4. post [audio] shortcode issues
    And finally, unrelated to the slider completely, on our podcast posts we are using the built into WordPress [audio] shortcode to reference the mp3 files. As you can see when you visit any of our posts that use this (such as http://www.moviesyoushouldlove.com/2012/12/28/episode-29-citizen-kane/) there are several blank lines inserted above and below the player the shortcode creates. This is new in this version. How can we fix this to make it take a standard single line of space?

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

– Loren

Bill Robbins

Loren,

Great looking site. Let’s see if we can get everything straightened out for you:

Slider Limit

You can edit the theme to cause a limit in the number of slides that is shown. You can also, change the publish status of your slides from published to pending review or draft to have them no longer visible. If you’d like edit the theme, here’s what to do:

1. Go to the Appearance section and select Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose page-home.php and look for this spot:

<?php $loop = new WP_Query( array( 'post_type' => 'slide', 'posts_per_page' => '-1', 'orderby'=>'menu_order', 'order'=>'ASC' ) ); ?<

3. Change the -1 to the number of slides you’d like to have displayed. -1 tells WordPress to load all slides, so pick a number like 5 or 10 without the minus and save your changes.
    4. That should change the number of visible slides for you.

Slider Order

When you’re editing a slide, if you’ll look in the right hand column, you’ll see a box labeled “order.” The numbers entered here will set the order of your slides. The default is zero, so you’d need to enter a number for all of them for that to work. They are displayed in ascending order.

That said, you can edit the theme to cause them to display in a variety of ways. The same line from above:

<?php $loop = new WP_Query( array( 'post_type' => 'slide', 'posts_per_page' => '-1', 'orderby'=>'menu_order', 'order'=>'ASC' ) ); ?<

Also sets how the pages are ordered. The menu_order is one of many options available. There is Codex Article that lists the options in the Order and Orderby section.

If you want to make the load in descending order by date, change the menu_order to date and the ASC to DESC and save your changes.

Slideshow Controls

You can make some adjustments to the slideshow controls. Go to the Theme Options page and select the Styling tab. Scroll down to the Custom CSS box and paste this:

#action-bar {
    	margin-top: 30px;
    }

p.caption {
    	width: 97.1%;
    	padding: .5% 1.5%;
    }

.flex-direction-nav .flex-next,
    .flex-direction-nav .flex-prev {
    	bottom: -31px;
    }

Update your settings. That will make a bit more space below the slideshow and move the arrows into that space. It will also decrease the padding on the captions which will make them a bit shorter.

Audio Player

You can adjust the audio player. Since it is a Flash player, it’s picking up some of the styling that’s intended for Flash video players to make them responsive. Here’s a way around that:

1. Go to the Theme Options page and choose the Styling tab.
    2. Scroll down to the Custom CSS box and paste this:

article.post p object {
      	height: 25px;
      }

3. Update your settings.

That should help with your audio player height.

I hope that helps you out. If you have any questions or trouble, just let me know.

Have a great week,
    Bill

Loren Small
    Participant

Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply! Those all work great and fixed my issues! I just have two new questions.

1. Is there a way to change the color of the slider arrows, say to white? I’d like to position them on top of the grey text bar, but of course they mostly disappear when they are on top of it.

2. Is there a way to make the text on the slider link to the same place as the image? I’d really like people to be able to click the name of the Episode as well as the slider image.

Thanks again!

– Loren

Bill Robbins

Loren,

You can change the slider arrows to white. They are made with an image, so we’ll just need to swap it out. Here’s how:

1. Right click and save the white arrows below.

2. Go to the Media section of your WordPress control panel and select “Add New.”
    3. Upload the new white arrows. Once the upload is finished, copy the URL to the image. You’ll need it in just a minute.
    4. Go to the Appearance section and select edit.
    5. From the list of files on your right, choose style.css and look for this spot:

/* Direction Nav */
      .flex-direction-nav a {
      	width: 23px; 
      	height: 30px; 
      	margin: 0; 
      	display: block; 
      	background: url(images/slider-arrows.png) no-repeat 0 0; 
      	position: absolute; 
      	bottom: 10px;
      	cursor: pointer; 
      	text-indent: -9999px;
      	-webkit-transition: all .3s ease;
      }

6. Replace the images/slider-arrows.png with the URL you copied earlier. Then save your changes.

That should give you a white set of arrows to work with. You can always change the arrow color in a graphic program if you need to.

You can make the slider text link too. Back in the theme editor again, select page-home.php and look for this spot:

<p class=”caption”>ID, “caption”, TRUE); ?></p>

and replace it with this:

And save your changes. That will make the text link too. You may need to add a CSS snippet to change the text link color so it’s visible. You can add this to your Custom CSS:

p.caption a,
    p.caption a:visited {
    	color: #fff;
    }

If you run into trouble or have questions, just let me know,
    Bill

Loren Small
    Participant

Perfect, that all worked great! I appreciate the help. You are always quick with an answer, and it is a pleasure using your themes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Front page slideshow / post [audio] shortcode issues’ is closed to new replies.