front page post summary

Support Area Forums Bottega front page post summary

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
URL to the page in question: www.piccadillyusa.com
  • Author
    Keith Kephart
    Participant

Can you help with formatting the front page so that I can apply posts and keep formatting. Ive left the example of what I mean on the front page. The full post looks fine but the summary seems to have a run-on of some sort and loses the formatting.

Thanks,
    Keith

Bill Robbins

Good Morning Keith,

Great question. In the featured post widget there are a few different options for what content is shown there. The “content” option will show the full content of your posts with all the formatting and images intact. You can use this option in conjunction with the “Read More” tag to cut off the content that’s displayed on the front page at that point. That’s one option.

The second option is to use the “excerpt” choice. This displays the first 55 words of your content, but by default, WordPress strips everything but text from it.

There is a plugin called Advanced Excerpt (https://wordpress.org/plugins/advanced-excerpt/) that will allow you to keep your formatting there. I haven’t used the plugin in a few years, but it worked as advertised. That’s probably the option I would go with.

The last option for the content limit wouldn’t be correct here for you. It does strip out everything but the text and doesn’t have the ability to place it back in via a plugin.

Have a great day and let me know if you have questions,
    Bill

Keith Kephart
    Participant

Awesome! I used the advanced excerpt option and it works great. Now how do i get it to remove the “posted in Highlights/leave a comment” at the bottom and top of the post?

Bill Robbins

Glad that did the trick. I believe there is an option in the widget to remove the “post meta” line or “byline” or something similar. If you don’t find it, let me know.

Keith Kephart
    Participant

Im not seeing it anywhere. 🙁

Bill Robbins

Keith,

There is a checkbox just below the sort options. It’s labeled show author date and category.

Keith Kephart
    Participant

Forgive me, I’m still not seeing it. I am looking at settings–>excerpt–> Advanced excerpt options and I don’t see anything about sorting or author, date, category. 🙁 Should I be looking somewhere else?

Keith

Bill Robbins

This is the widget. Go to Appearance in your dashboard and click on Widgets. Find the featured post widget you’re using and click on it. That will open up the options for that instance of the widget. The checkbox will be there.

Bill

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘front page post summary’ is closed to new replies.