Format a custom menu

Support Area Forums Progress Format a custom menu

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Jenn Guitart
    Participant

I created a custom menu and a page template so that part of my website could have a big menu in the sidebar. Now I can’t figure out how to format that menu. I would greatly appreciate any guidance.

here’s the site…

http://bacheinfo.org/wordpress/?page_id=72

I’m a wordpress newbie, btw.

Thank you very much!

Bill Robbins

Jenn,

Thank you for your business first of all. Sorry for the trouble with the menu widget. That’s one item I have slated for an update when version 2.0 is released. Here’s how you can improve how it works for you now:

1. Go to the Theme Options page and select the Styling tab.
    2. Scroll down to the Custom CSS box and paste this:

.widget ul.menu li ul {
      	position: relative !important;
      	top: 0 !important;
      	left: 0 !important;
      	display: block !important;
      	visibility: visible !important;
      	box-shadow: none;
      	-webkit-box-shadow: none;
      	-moz-box-shdadow: none;
      	margin-left: 20px;
      }

3. Update your settings.

Give that a shot and see if it doesn't work better for you. Let me know if you have any trouble,
    Bill

Jenn Guitart
    Participant

Thank you, Bill, for your timely response!

I’m actually needing an accordion menu (or at the very least a drop-down, though an accordion menu would be best). I’ve added one using the jquery vertical accordion menu plug-in, but it’s not functioning properly, and I’m wondering if there is some conflict with something else in the theme code. If you have any advice for how to make the plug-in work with your theme, or some other solution, that would be great.

Thank you again!!

Jenn

Bill Robbins

Jenn,

For an accordion widget, have you tried the jQuery Accordion Menu plugin? I personally haven’t used it, but it’s been downloaded 140,000 times and has a 4.9 star rating which is pretty good. You might give that a shot.

Let me know if I can help,
    Bill

Jenn Guitart
    Participant

HI Bill,

Yes, I have installed it and it is for some unknown reason not working properly. At first it was working as an accordion menu, but not properly — it would open up and then everything would just stay open (which would result in it being about four feet long once I add all the content).

I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it various times, but I discovered through looking at the support forum for the plug-in that sometimes it doesn’t work with some themes. Here is what it said…

3. Either your theme files or another plugin is loading jQuery a 2nd time – this will result in the code required for the menu being overwritten. If you have jQuery hardcoded into your theme’s header see the following FAQ for instructions on how to add jQuery correctly – Adding jQuery to your theme files using wp_enqueue_script

So I added this code to functions.php at the bottom:

add_action(‘template_redirect’,’custom_theme_files’);

function custom_theme_files() {
    wp_enqueue_script( ‘jquery’ );
    }

And it made it work differently, but like a drop-down instead of an accordion menu. Not sure what to try next, and would love any help with this puzzle.

Thank you!

Jenn

Bill Robbins

Jenn,

Let’s see if we can sort this out. The theme loads jQuery via an enqueue from a file called scripts where all of the various scripts are registered and loaded into the theme. Some plugins do load load jQuery again which will cause trouble.

I think what’s happening here with the accordion widget is at least in part the result of the widget and the theme’s menu both using the same “class.” That’s causing at least some of the trouble.

There is a field inside the widget that lets you set a “class” for the menu. Enter anything there without a space besides “menu” and see if that won’t work better for you.

It won’t change any extra enqueuing of jQuery, but it’ll at least remove the conflict between this plugin and the theme.

If I can help, let me know,
    Bill

Jenn Guitart
    Participant

Wow, thank you so much!! It’s like magic, it worked!! You are a rock star, Bill!!!

Bill Robbins

So glad that worked out. If you need anything else, just let me know.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Format a custom menu’ is closed to new replies.